• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello Everyone

Vt_house_of_exotics

I am new to Tegutalk! My name is Grady and I am 19 years old. I am originally from Vermont, but recently moved to Morgantown, West Virginia to attend WVU. I have recently purchased a baby black and white tegu, Tazz, and have been loving every day since I got him at a reptile expo in Pennsylvania. I have a few other critters running around as well. It is not my first reptile, but it is my first large lizard. I am looking forward to spending every day with this guy to watch him grow. He has been very active and always moving about the tank. His hot spot is about 95-100 degrees and the rest of the tank stays about 80. He is housed in a 40 breeder filled with 4-6" of pure cypress mulch. He also has a large water dish that fits his whole body and a plastic hide that i made a basking spot on top with the cypress. He has been eating crickets regularly. Going out to buy raw ground turkey today. He is still getting used to being handled. He spazzes a little when I pick him up first thing in the morning. This morning he started breathing heavy and making a hissing noise. He never bit me. He just kept whipping his tail. After 2 minutes of calming him down he let me pick him up. As soon as I get him out of the tank he calms right down and enjoys being rubbed on the back. is this normal for tegus getting used to being handled? Any tips for me? I would appreciate any advice people have. I love information and the more I know, the better care I can provide. I am also misting quite often to keep up humidity. should I hook up a fogger or humidifier? If you want to see pics of Tazz, I try to post pics of him and some of my other critters on my Instagram, you can follow @Vt_house_of_exotics. Like I said any comments, advice, tips, or anything I might want to know would be greatly appreciated! sorry for the long intro. Thanks guys.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Grady- Congrats! I wouldn't worry about some nervousness. Little ones have lots to be afraid of. Once it quickly settles into its routine, behavior should change. One tip is not to handle him everytime you open the cage, etc. Sometimes just open it, or pet him, or change water, or feed him. or just hang out near him reading, etc. They get used to people fast.

Vt_house_of_exotics

thanks for the advice!! I actually have been doing that to calm him down. I usually open the cage and stand there and watch him. I slowly put my arm in and let him sense me. he comes over and licks my hand but just curiously, and theres no sign that he is going to bite. He starts to breathe a little heavier but as soon as i start rubbing his back he slows his breathing and closes his eyes! I think I got really lucky with my little gu. He is the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me