• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello from Kansas

m758b033

Hello all,
My name is Matt and I just picked up my first tegu. He is a Columbian gold. Today he started his first shed while with me. :-D I am relatively inexperienced with lizards, however, have experience with snakes.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Welcome!

Got any pics of your lil' 'gu?

How's your tegu's temperament? Columbians get a pretty bad rap for being a bit feisty and aggressive--however, there are a few keepers on here that have had quite the opposite experience.

m758b033

Right now he is less than a year old, but his temperment is dog tame. He wandered around today for a while when I was cleaning his tank. I try and hold him every day for several minutes at minimum, but between him the bos the SW tank, the 4 FW tanks he doesn't get held some days.
I'll get some pics soon probably tonight and I'll upload them tomorrow.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Nice! While they seem to be popping up more and more frequently, you've definitely got something special with a tame Columbian.

m758b033

I got him from a reptile breeder in Manhattan. He called me up and said that the bigger tegus were picking on him and had gone as far as taking his tail off of him. So now I am putting some antibiotics on it several times a week and soaking him in a sink several times a week. I use the sink just cause I can keep the water warm.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Hmmm...

Did this breeder claim to have bred the Columbians? Or did he say they were imports? I'm not aware of any Columbian Tegus in The States (that doesn't mean that there aren't any--just that I'M unaware of their existence).

m758b033

He wasn't breeding tegus. He just kept some as pets. He was more into burms and ball pythons. I assume he got it from some pet store in manhattan.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I kinda figured.

The only reason I ask is that reputably TAME Columbians would be a HUGE hit in the reptile trade, I believe. Their smaller-than-an-Argentine size is quite appealing to many--but, the deal-breaker is often their aggressive reputations. I think the captive breeding of Columbians would play a HUGE role in producing TAMER animals. Whoever gets that dialed in and can facilitate captive breeding of Columbian Tegus is set to make a pretty penny (especially if such breeding resulted in tamer and tamer tegus through the generations).

m758b033

Amen to that. I going to wait to judge him though, because I imagine his personality will continue to change as he grows gor better or for worse.

m758b033

Here are some pics. Sorry they took so long.
critters023.jpg

critters019.jpg

critters008.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me