• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello from Montana ☺

sphenodon

I'm not a tegu owner but came here to learn more. I'm obsessed with the idea of a tegu but I'm not sure I want to take that leap just yet. Seeing people's videos and pictures of tegus coming to them for attention... Videos where they look like they actually like petting/rubbing... Really?!! Maybe reading the forums here will satisfy my urges and I'll never get a tegu...or maybe I'll be convinced it's my next step.

I think my main concern is finding petsitter who will be willing and capable of taking care of a tegu. A few times a year, I'm gone 1-2 weeks at a time, for work or visiting family...not including vacations I'd like to take. How easy can I make it for a petsitter who may or may not have much reptile experience?

In the past, I very rarely handled my pet reptiles. Perhaps because I started out with amphibians and they're very hands-off! I'm pretty new to the idea of handling reptiles semi-regularly, letting them out to explore and even having them hang out on me! Best of all, there is very little poop and pee to worry about, relatively speaking. The perfect pets!

Reptiles currently in residence: bearded dragon, hog island boa and Merauke blue tongue skink. If there happens to be other Montana reptile enthusiasts here, hiii!

sage

When I was first looking to get a tegu a man at the reptile expo told me if you don't have time every day to handle your tegu they aren't the pet for you he said they are like having somewhere between a cat and dog and they aren't like snakes where you can just take them out once a week ...with that being said I love my tegu and I have no problem wanting to take her out everyday

sphenodon

That's kind of exactly why I like the sound of tegus! I never used to handle my reptiles much because it never occurred to me that you could. Now, I handle my three as regularly as possible, with the expectation that they might not actually care for it and could potentially get stressed from too much handling.

Hi and welcome :) I myself drooled over tegus. I researched tons and watched many videos. I had been wanting that perfect one for me for years ! My husband surprised me with my Chacoan Tegu " meat loaf " in September and I truly have to say he is the best gift ever! There is complete truth that you have to hold them on constant basis. I had the goal of holding him daily for atleast a 20 minutes and have far surpassed that time frame. They are soooo smart ! I have several hundred reptiles and in my experience with snakes, geckos, monitors, lizards of numerous species they have to be by the far the most intellectual. They grow extremely fast ! and you need to dedicate your time and space to make them apart of your family. I could only say great things about my experience with my tegu :) Good luck ! and if you have any questions we are all here to help !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me