• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello,newbie here...

Jules

Hi all,
My name is Julie. I've wanted a Tegu ever since petsitting for one decades ago, but traveled a lot and couldn't commit. Now I'm seriously looking for either a Red or B&W to spoil. I havent really decided if I want a baby or a adult. I have a big sunroom devoted to housing him/her. I still have a lot to learn about care and training.
I have a big lazy Northern Blue Tongue Skink, one Crazy Jack Russell terrier female and two parakeets.
Ok...just wanted to say "hi". I'm new to forums...so I hope I don't post in the wrong place, or screw up in general..lol

Ginny Mastandrea

Hi all,
My name is Julie. I've wanted a Tegu ever since petsitting for one decades ago, but traveled a lot and couldn't commit. Now I'm seriously looking for either a Red or B&W to spoil. I havent really decided if I want a baby or a adult. I have a big sunroom devoted to housing him/her. I still have a lot to learn about care and training.
I have a big lazy Northern Blue Tongue Skink, one Crazy Jack Russell terrier female and two parakeets.
Ok...just wanted to say "hi". I'm new to forums...so I hope I don't post in the wrong place, or screw up in general..lol
I’m a newbie too, I had 50 snakes and a few large lizards in the past. But that was at least 15 yrs ago so I need a refresher course for sure! I bought a juvenile Black and White firebelly Tegu. The are tons of them in Florida and pretty sure they don’t belong there. So people are catching them and some are killing them

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Julie,

Welcome. Nice folks, good advice. All to be better. Check out threads for some answers and even to raise questions.

I have 2 male and 2 female wildcaughts from S. FL.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Ladies hope you enjoy the site and your new little/big friends when you get them if not already..X

Jules

Hi Ginny ,Walterand Alpha....omg, I can't even imagine someone catching one in Florida and killing it.Are you all in Florida? I'm on the other coast (calif) and we don't have invasive species tegu. I wonder why? Our winters in Ventura co. are fairly mild. I would love to come to Florida and hunt for a tegu to keep as a pet. I have a northern blue tongue..and he's like a big burrito. I can put him down on a hot day and come back 15 mins later and he's in the same spot. He loves fuzzy frozen mice...but doesn't have the intelligence of a monitor or a tegu. But I love his big fat self...I've wanted a tegu for decades, and have the place and time for one now. Just waiting for the perfect one. I'm thinking just a regular black and white male Argentine. I'm old now, 60, and want to have the things I've always wanted..
I'm hesitant to order one via mail...I'd like to see it in person first. But we don't see them very often on the west coast.
Ginny,....50 snakes?? Omg..I've had a local caugh gopher snake as a kid..but I've always wanted a western hog nose, the orangish colored ones. ( I think they are albino?) but I think lizards always have the intelligence I like, along with tortoise. They seem to just want to be near you.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm from southern Florida but presently do not live there. I go down often, though. My four are from tegusonly in Homestead, Florida. I know the proprietor well. You're smart to consider one from nearby to check it out but be careful of sheisters.

Ginny Mastandrea

Hi Ginny ,Walterand Alpha....omg, I can't even imagine someone catching one in Florida and killing it.Are you all in Florida? I'm on the other coast (calif) and we don't have invasive species tegu. I wonder why? Our winters in Ventura co. are fairly mild. I would love to come to Florida and hunt for a tegu to keep as a pet. I have a northern blue tongue..and he's like a big burrito. I can put him down on a hot day and come back 15 mins later and he's in the same spot. He loves fuzzy frozen mice...but doesn't have the intelligence of a monitor or a tegu. But I love his big fat self...I've wanted a tegu for decades, and have the place and time for one now. Just waiting for the perfect one. I'm thinking just a regular black and white male Argentine. I'm old now, 60, and want to have the things I've always wanted..
I'm hesitant to order one via mail...I'd like to see it in person first. But we don't see them very often on the west coast.
Ginny,....50 snakes?? Omg..I've had a local caugh gopher snake as a kid..but I've always wanted a western hog nose, the orangish colored ones. ( I think they are albino?) but I think lizards always have the intelligence I like, along with tortoise. They seem to just want to be near you.

The one I got is a black and white firebelly. He’s from Florida and the man I got him from catches them to save them from being killed. Not sure how they got there. Just like all the Burmese Pythons that are there maybe. I ordered mine he came regular mail taking 48 hrs and he was just as I expected EXCEPT I think it might be a female. I have just a regular spotted Hognose. That’s what my budget allowed! And also a baby Nile that’s a demon! I picked him up today and he tried to bite the hand Ii was using to control his head without any stress. He tagged my opposite index finger and I don’t know what I was thinking but I tried to pull my finger out of his mouth! I know better so it’s nicely ripped. Usually he just clamps on to a lil piece of skin and I just leave him clamped down. I’ve been managing to not get bit at all for a while and it doesn’t hurt but today sure did! And then my Tegu scratched me up some. He hasn’t tried to bite or whip me. He’s not totally keen on me picking him up but lots of progress has been made and I LOVE him. Oh I’m almost 58 so I don’t have any business with these lizards by myself. But it keeps me busy and challenged every day. I’m in a crappy town and I don’t have friends here so it just gives me a purpose

Ginny Mastandrea

The one I got is a black and white firebelly. He’s from Florida and the man I got him from catches them to save them from being killed. Not sure how they got there. Just like all the Burmese Pythons that are there maybe. I ordered mine he came regular mail taking 48 hrs and he was just as I expected EXCEPT I think it might be a female. I have just a regular spotted Hognose. That’s what my budget allowed! And also a baby Nile that’s a demon! I picked him up today and he tried to bite the hand Ii was using to control his head without any stress. He tagged my opposite index finger and I don’t know what I was thinking but I tried to pull my finger out of his mouth! I know better so it’s nicely ripped. Usually he just clamps on to a lil piece of skin and I just leave him clamped down. I’ve been managing to not get bit at all for a while and it doesn’t hurt but today sure did! And then my Tegu scratched me up some. He hasn’t tried to bite or whip me. He’s not totally keen on me picking him up but lots of progress has been made and I LOVE him. Oh I’m almost 58 so I don’t have any business with these lizards by myself. But it keeps me busy and challenged every day. I’m in a crappy town and I don’t have friends here so it just gives me a purpose
Oh PS I live in Arkansas. Ughhh

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm all the way across that big blue pond in England.. Nice to virtually meet you though, I just have Alpha my colombian gold who is probs coming up to around 18 month oldish.... Hes really good, never showing any aggression and is just starting to feel safe around the house and taking full advantage of exploring whilst out roaming....lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980