• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello there!

Raksh

Hello!
I can start about talking some about myself: I am 15 years and live in a boring city, in the northern parts of Norway... I like to do hobbies, like Warhammer 40k miniatures and such, but are using alot of my time on the computer/Xbox. Recently my love for reptiles reignited and I stumbled upon these wonderfull creatures! But as I live in a place where there are no reptiles i have a few (alot?) questions...

Question one: Will i be able to get one to Norway? Ive read about some place in Sweden selling Tegu's, but they are imported from Netherlands/Holland and I would prefer a trusted breeder to get me my first ever reptile. Someone like Agama International(?) or Varnyard AKA Bobby. If you could point out a trusted and good breeder living closer to Norway than America that would be nice.

Question two: Will I be able to feed it? Here where I live, there is no petshops so I guess it's kinda hard to buy insects/rodents. I would be very happy if you could give me an answer if there are some other ways around insects and rodents, because I would prefer not to breed up his food, or buy his food over the net. Offcourse I would breed/buy it if it is needed for a happy and healthy Tegu.

Question three: It might be a dumb question, but can i have him free roaming when there is still snow around (not at full winter, but still snow around...)? I am completely new to reptiles habits etc. so an answer to their tolerance to coldness would be highly appriciated as the climate is very cold at the winter with a short summer (snow free from about June to August else there maybe coming/still being snow around).

Question four: How economical is a Tegu? I am probably ending up with having to pay for it all and would like to know how much cash it costs to own a happy and healthy Tegu while i am only getting like 80-100$ a month I could'nt get a Tegu if it costs alot.

Question five: All the other questions put together, would it still be worth it to have a Tegu in Norway, even though the climate is not very suitable etc.?

I guess I can read myself to the rest, like cage size, what to have in the cage, where I can get lighting for it etc... Please come with additional info and try and help me out as much as possible as I am completely new to this and would love to have a happy N' healthy Tegu at home. By the way, reptiles are forbidden in Norway and if catched having an illegal one they are tortured to death (put in the snow til they die, snakes being cut by scissors :( :mad though that may be bolony but you never know) but I would most definately search for approval, wich can be done, to the people who are administrating such and offcourse add this link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5mvOpCnvI&feature=player_embedded#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5mvOpC ... _embedded#</a><!-- m -->, It's so cute! At an end note, I am really entustiastic about the terrarium as me and some friends made a miniature field for our miniatures, and would probably make a nice place for the Tegu.

That's it for now and I hope I get these questions answered and maybe getting some info to start out with a Tegu!
- Raksh

Edit: I forgot a question: How is it about the hibernation? I am, as said before new to reptiles and it sound both frigthening and interesting. What should i do before, meanwhile and after? It would help alot to be prepared for the Tegu, if I decide I'll get one.

Pikey

5 Year Member
first off it will cost a lot (food, housing,lighting,& cost of the lizard), and you will need to get the Prey food, so not to sound rude or mean, but a tegu is not the lizard for you....

I'm not saying don't get anything but you might want to look into a smaller lizard some thing to start out with until you're a bit older & more experienced with them before moving to a tegu.

Good luck with whatever you decide

isdrake

5 Year Member
Hi neighbor, I'm from Sweden. It's insane that reptiles are forbidden in Norway. I really feel sorry for you. =(

I'm sorry to say but I don't think you should get a Tegu or any other reptile as long as they are illegal in your country. That's not fair for the animal. You will still need food and supplies which I think is hard to get. And if your Tegu get sick or hurt? Then what will you do?

Haha, I guess you will have to move to Sweden first. :)

And about the food. Tegus eat alot.. I'm talking about insane amount of food. And if it's hard to get different kinds of rodents, birds and insects they you live it will probably be hard to vary the food.

Me and my boyfriend did a lot of searching for Tegus before we finally got one (now we have two, hehe). The breeders in US don't ship to Europe because they don't have their CITES paper.

Breeders in Europe are rare... But as you said some shops in Sweden can get them. One of our Tegus comes from Brazil. They cost about 2500-3500 SEK. That's about 1922-2691 NOK.

I also agree with Pikey, Tegu's are not good to start out with. If you are planning on getting a lizard even if they are illegal I would recommend something smaller.

Raksh

Hello again!
I see that alot have requested me not to buy one and it sounds pretty fair why and the biggest reason has to be them being illegal, but you can request permission to legally own one, and will do it when i know excactly what the law says. About the food, I would buy it rodents/insects if it is required, but was asking if there were anything more available. And I have for example good space for an enclosure and other equipment. The reason I would like to start with a Tegu is because the smaller lizards dont seem to be getting very tame/actually like handling as I would like the pet to actually like being my pet, not just being the owner of it and the source of food. Tegu's are intelligent and they are social wich are something I would want my pet reptile to be, and I would like them being something like a dog with scales... That's what they often are called(?). By the way, nice Tegu's Isdrake! How did you get it from Brazil? Did you get in contact with a breeder there or anything else? Well, in future replies I would like you guys to not be hung up on them being illegal, as I am solving that puzzle soon. I'm pretty sure about the purchase of a Tegu, its more like being prepared etc.

Thanks for reading my post and giving comments and trying to help me!
- Raksh

isdrake

5 Year Member
I'm afraid I haven't had any contact with breeders. It's hard to import CITES animals to Sweden. Unfortunately it's easier for pet stores so I got one of them from there. The other one is more of a rescuepet.

In the wild adult Argentine Tegus eat about 67% vegetable/fruit, 13% invertebrates and 20% vertebrates. Even if it's a lot for fruit they will still require a lot of different animals and insects.

However I still don't think a Tegu is a good reptile to start with. I also got the feeling that you haven't quite grasped the whole thing with reptiles. I don't wan't to offend anyone but Americans seems to have a very special view of reptiles. And I'm afraid you will get the wrong picture if you only look on their way of reptile keeping.

I would strongly recommend you to join this Swedish/Norwegian/Danish reptileforum and learn more about reptiles in general. It's most Swedish people there but I think you will understand Swedish. :p

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.repti.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.repti.net/</a><!-- m -->

Raksh

Hello!
Thanks for the info Isdrake, looking at the site now... If it is more reptile information required, then I will do it. I would choose to do a Tegu first because they seem to get highly tame, and if I got a beardie first, to sell it when I was itching for a Tegu and ready to buy one. It would just be a "use and throw" sort of stuff and I don't like people dong that, seems pointless and unfair for the animal. Gonna go through some stuff on that site for sure!

Thanks and bye!
- Raksh

Pikey

5 Year Member
the thing is...... this will be your 1st reptile EVER my 1st Tegu was like my 30th Reptile and i DO NOT RECOMMEND them as your 1st reptile and you're still a child are you really ready for a 4ft 15lb 12-20yr old lizard that will most likely eat more than you do..

i own 4 tegus 1 - 3yr old 2 - 2yr old & a 7 month old
I breed:
ASF rats (i have 60+ at any given time)
Rats (10+ at any time)
Mice (40+ at any time)
Dubia roaches (200+ at any time)
Hissing roaches (200+)

I have
6+lbs of turkey in my freezer
2+ lbs of turkey in my fridge
2-3 whole beef livers
1-2 beef hearts
3-4 different melons
(i don't think you grasp how much one of these will cost)

a cage big enough for an adult (very basic 8x4x2) will cost you 250-500 USD
lighting a lone will be another 100 USD (including heating) an outdoor pen/cage
is out of the question in Norway

if you can get a permit or whatever try a Bearded dragon 1st if you're dead set on a lizard you want to hold

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Although I agree a tegu should not be his first reptile, he is not a child, he is my age and I have successfully kept a lot of different species of reptiles. Just pointing out to you that that is not realistic to base his decision off of nor is the size of the lizard, not all get that big, and a tegu definitely does not eat more than me. That being said you should still not get a tegu. Go for a beardy, they are great starters.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Hi Raksh. Welcome to the TeguTalk forum. I know that you really would like to get a Tegu but they can be very expensive. They do need to eat some rodents ( not wild caught ones because they have deseases ) for the calcium they have in their bones. If a Tegu doesn't have the proper calcium and UVB ( light ) intake they can get MBD ( metabolic bone desease ). Since you don't have a reptile vet where you are I wouldn't take a chance of getting a Tegu and having it die on you. They also need a very big enclosure. They need a basking spot of 100 - 110F. It's also elligal to have one where you live. I don't want you to get caught and the Tegu has to pay the price ( get killed ) for it. I'm sorry.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I also take offense to the "kids can't take care of tegus". I take care of my animals better than most adults do. I am 15 years old and I can give my tegu everything it needs. They do have quite an appetite and do need a ton of room. As a first pet... no. Try leos or beardies thier so much easier and will tame down easy too. Tegus also require a ton of time to dedicate to them. At 80-100$ a month you could feed an adult tegu but they need certain things like rodents in thier diet. They also need variety in thier diet. Also if you build a cage even with lighting it shouldn't cost you 500$. Just my 0.02$...

Raksh

Hello!
Thanks for all the response I have gotten here recently and have started to look into the laws, and they seem to be changing so in about max half a year, you might be able to own a reptile in Norway. I would like say that reptiles are seldom being killed here in Norway at these law changing times. I am looking into beardies right now... They seem interesting.
- Raksh

Pikey

5 Year Member
i didn't mean it to be "you're a kid so you cant take care of it" or "you're 15 so you ARE a kid"

but as you guys said you're 15 and HAVE kept reptiles BEFORE

He has NEVER owned a reptile and if you read thought the posts he has already made up his mind even tho they are illegal, not and vet, or pet shops around.

so it will be hard to find food other than ordering everything even the lights off line
if it gets sick it will die (no vets)
if he gets caught with it they will kill it
it sounds like he want to buy the lizard then worring about housing & everything else later on
& at $80-100 a month he'll get it then take 6 months (or longer) to have the money to get it lights & housing (because he'll have to feed it too during those months of saving)

He sounds a lot like the 19yr old KID i rescued my (red) from
she is missing 7 toes, the tip of her tail, 4-6 retained sheds, over weight
all because he wanted a "puppy with scales"
(3ft lizard in a 75gal tank full screen top & fed it table scraps ie. pizza, pasta,...)
as far as I'm concerned he wants it for selfish reasons..... AND THAT IS CHILDISH.

So he is a kid

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Your reasoning is a little odd, I am sure there are a lot of adults that want animals for selfish reasons and aren't ready for the responsibility.

isdrake

5 Year Member
I didn't mean that you should start out with a "newbie lizard" only because it's simpler just to sell it later on.

However I'm sure that there are other lizards out that that you will find interesting and actually keep. :)

If you're not interested in reptiles in general then a Tegu wouldn't suit you anyway.

Raksh

Hiya!
@Pikey: I really just dont understand how you can just go around saying I am gonna keep it for selfish reasons etc. without knowing me at all. I love lizards, and have for all my life but them having been illegal and all I have'nt considered getting one. I understand you get pissed of people that have done what the person you saved an animal from but only because I try and clarify some questions that I had in mind and me being completely new to reptile keeping; that makes me a selfish and childish person? You make a few good points but you should think twice before you state anything about how I would do owning pets, cause I've actually had quite a few "normal" pets. I do very much understand that there are actual lifes at play if people ain't doing it the way it should be done, and if it seems unsuitable to own a Tegu here then I would'nt get one. I gonna look for solutions if there are anything that is not right but would'nt risk the life of a pet for any reason.

@TeguKid80: I agree at you with that, unproper caring for herptiles/other pets are too often happening, and there are alot of adults that dont know how to do it properly too, not only kids.

@Isdrake: Okay that clarifies up some stuff. As I said before I have loved herptiles for all of my life and think they are very interesting, all of them. I just felt that there was not very much info to find about Tegu's; like for example beardies and therefore I tried and clarify up some stuff in this presumably Tegu forum. And I also asked a few non-Tegu questions because I am new to the whole thing. And have looked into for example beardies now and a few other stuff, and all are interesting, but it's the Tegu's that I have the most interest, not saying the others are boring, at all...

Adding a question: Do Tegu's get often sick, if cared for properly?

BTW, I am only considering one so dont be harsh on me on future comments, try and rather say something constructive and actually try and help me (or other newbies). The money is not the biggest problem, as I am having borthday soon and are probably getting money, and if gonna get a Tegu, I would save money for it, not just jump into it.
- Raksh

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
No if properly cared for and given the proper caging, and this includes not giving a young baby to big of a cage, then they do not get sick very often. I have never had a tegu get sick. Also Pikey, I rescued a tegu to rehab it about 6 months ago which was in way worse conditions than what you described and yet I am not going around discouraging people from even considering a tegu and calling them selfish.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Pikey said:
i didn't mean it to be "you're a kid so you cant take care of it" or "you're 15 so you ARE a kid"

but as you guys said you're 15 and HAVE kept reptiles BEFORE

He has NEVER owned a reptile and if you read thought the posts he has already made up his mind even tho they are illegal, not and vet, or pet shops around.

so it will be hard to find food other than ordering everything even the lights off line
if it gets sick it will die (no vets)
if he gets caught with it they will kill it
it sounds like he want to buy the lizard then worring about housing & everything else later on
& at $80-100 a month he'll get it then take 6 months (or longer) to have the money to get it lights & housing (because he'll have to feed it too during those months of saving)

He sounds a lot like the 19yr old KID i rescued my (red) from
she is missing 7 toes, the tip of her tail, 4-6 retained sheds, over weight
all because he wanted a "puppy with scales"
(3ft lizard in a 75gal tank full screen top & fed it table scraps ie. pizza, pasta,...)
as far as I'm concerned he wants it for selfish reasons..... AND THAT IS CHILDISH.

So he is a kid

I know, I see what your saying

Basically it's a matter of experience. Tegus aren't beginner lizards point blank. I hate when people trying to keep these lizards ask newbie questions like what's hot and cool side and what does a uvb bulb look like etc. Someone who has kept lizards befre should know the basics and when kepping tegus you need to know the basics of reptile husbandry.

In other words if you have never kept any other reptiles tegus are not the pet for you..

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
Take a look at the situation... Tegus aren't even available in Norway... No pet stores around... No vets around... Not legal to own... No where to buy rats (except online)... Do you need to use your parents credit card to buy everyday needs such as rodents, roaches, crickets, multivitamins, calcium powder, lighting, substrate, etc...?

At the moment it doesn't even seem like owning a tegu is an option. Where would you even find one in the first place?

Bearded dragons eat crickets/roaches and require a lot of the same things tegus do, so keep that in mind also.

I'm really glad you're asking questions that you have on the forum. Tegus really are wonderful, I hope someday you have the opportunity to own one (or more!) Continue to do your research, and good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980