• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello veryone... my B&W tegu wants to taste me..

adolfo melilli

Hello all from Italy
I got a young B&W tegu one year ago, it was half-sized, with still some "green" spots on its back...
I would not say it is aggressive, it roams in the house as if it was a cat, then it comes back to its backing spot..very curious and inquisitive, when startled it runs away from people, then it comes near to explore..during the day its so active, it;s a great pleasure to watch it..
it does not like to be held, maybe I handle it the wrong way... but that's not the point..
My concern is that as I approach my hand it comes running as if it would like to have a tasting bite...I really don't want to be bitten..
is there a way to let it understand my hand is not food? I read somewhere I should leave the hand still in front of its mouth and close in a fist, so that it can try to bite and realize it's not dealing with a rat :)
What do you suggest? I'm always out for work during the day, and when I come home it's hidden somewhere to sleep, I can only see it in full activity during the week end

Thanks for help

beardeddragon111

come in very slowly and try to bend down as much as possible. Putting your hand in a fist will make a bite much shorter and less painful. Wearing a glove might help if your worried, but I believe that can cause bad behavior, such as every time he sees you without one he goes in for the kill.

adolfo melilli

Welcome!

Have you been hand-feeding him?
unfortunately yes, when he was younger, some months ago, i offered him some mice, mostly dead, but a couple of times it had live prey, I suppose it was too late when I realised that was a stupid mistake.. from that moment on food is always offered in a bowl or dish ...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Let him eat his fill from his bowl then try handling as he won't be so quick to bite can then show him that your hand is not food. Use hand to pet, scratch him. He'll learn quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont