• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello!!

tinouTHEdino

Hello lizard lovers, just introducing Gordon the Columbian B/W...I saw him when I was looking to get another bearded dragon but saw he was housed in something horrid in the petstore and asked to see him. Oh boy did I learn how quick tegu's were when they want to be, as soon as the the guy opened the window to get him he made a bee line for the exit trying to escape. I just had to get him out of there... He had an injury to his right arm that did not heal properly (not from me) as well as a regrown tail ( 1/4 of an inch. The first time I fed him he ate so much and couldnt walk correctly with all the weight.

I just got an Argentine red a few days ago at Repticon in Utah, her keepers had her with 2 other tegus that bonded and started picking on her. she lost the tip of her tail, and several toes due to humidity issues... I havent named her yet... I think its a girl, the owners said it was a girl and I cant feel the bead near the vent...so I think - girl

have plans this summer to be building something bigger. I am picking up two 4x2x2 enclosures that I want to combine to either make a 4x4x2 or 8x2x2 enclosure and have it be the indoor enclosure then build an outside thing for them.

1392006017333.jpg day one...with no cool stuff in the cage... had Gordon chilling out on a makeshift basking platform out of a cardboard box and egg carton....lol good times, he would slowly crawl up to bask and then when he was done slide down the egg carton

IMG_20140211_193320.jpg nomnomnomnom - notice his arm is not normal in this pic it is extremely bent inward when hes eating - his arm was in such bad shape and had some serious atrophy

IMG_20140215_150828.jpg who is this a new friend??

IMG_20140217_231219.jpg Basking and more chillin - Gordans arm looking better

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to TeguTalk! Those are some cute tegus you have there! I hope you find the answers to all your questions here!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the site. One question, why are you housing them together?
Not trying to start an argument or sound aggressive in any way - but what you are doing is wrong, and you're not going to like what I have to say.

1. They are not even of the same species; one is Tupinambis rufescens, the other is Tupinambis teguixin.
2. I am assuming quarantine did not take place as you say you obtained the red tegu recently and from your pictures it looks like you're already housing them together.
3. Your glass aquarium is not big enough for two tegus of that size as of right now.
4. Two 4x2x2 combined together to make one enclosure to house those two tegus together will not work.

I am going to get slammed for posting this as I always do but keepers need to understand that this type of cohabitation is too risky and should not be done. I recommend getting another temporary enclosure to split them up immediately.

Why purchase another tegu and put it in a tank that's already looking like it's barely fitting the other one?

And on a brighter note, I did see your other thread regarding massaging your tegus arm to help it heal. I liked that thread, and good job in making improvements with your Colombians arm.

tinouTHEdino

yeaa I just got overzealous I gotta find another home for the Argentine, its probably better if I bail now for everyones sake

Hello and welcome to the site. One question, why are you housing them together?
Not trying to start an argument or sound aggressive in any way - but what you are doing is wrong, and you're not going to like what I have to say.

1. They are not even of the same species; one is Tupinambis rufescens, the other is Tupinambis teguixin.
2. I am assuming quarantine did not take place as you say you obtained the red tegu recently and from your pictures it looks like you're already housing them together.
3. Your glass aquarium is not big enough for two tegus of that size as of right now.
4. Two 4x2x2 combined together to make one enclosure to house those two tegus together will not work.

I am going to get slammed for posting this as I always do but keepers need to understand that this type of cohabitation is too risky and should not be done. I recommend getting another temporary enclosure to split them up immediately.

Why purchase another tegu and put it in a tank that's already looking like it's barely fitting the other one?

And on a brighter note, I did see your other thread regarding massaging your tegus arm to help it heal. I liked that thread, and good job in making improvements with your Colombians arm.
Keep doing your thing. Without good advice, these forums would be pointless. Sometimes people just don't know.

tinouTHEdino

any suggestions on UV lighting? I have a powersun 160watt but I dont know how good of UVB they produce...My bearded dragon has a reptisun because it was most suggested brand recommended, but are tegus different? I would think lizards are lizards and would all require UVB and since not all UVB is made equal, would there be a specific brand or product that is above the rest?

Or is it the other way around, some lizards have more specific UVB requirements?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have always used powersuns, they work great. There are other options such as SolarGlo which I've also used and they're pretty great too, but I still prefer powersuns. I never used 160 watts though, usually stuck to 100 watts and played around with temps until they were steady.

tinouTHEdino

It is with much sadness that I am writing this post :(

Gordon had passed away, it was 100 percent my fault I put him out in my room to roam around, he found his way on my bed and burrowed underneath the sheets, when I went to sleep I rolled on him and squished him :(

That was the second week of March..

My roommates called me lizard killer for the next two months... I since then purchased 3 hatchling columbians to fill the void

they are about 3 months old now...I will start their thread in the columbian forum in a few days

tinouTHEdino

That's not even the worst part I originally had 4, but one escaped while I was feeding them and ran under the deck.... The deck is about 6inches off the ground and sealed on all l sides except the side next to the house plus my lunch was only an hour long,

We found her remains two weeks ago when we were cleaning the backyard under some wooden boxes

SamBobCat

@Ralph DeMayo it was an awful mistake. Do you think he doesn't understand that? You CANNOT go and bash on him because he made a mistake! This is how we LEARN you PRICK! You should not be on his thread telling him that he is an idiot. I'm sure his new Columbians are doing great except for the one that escaped. We don't need you here on this forum if that's how you're going to react to something like this. Back off man.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So you now have three Colombian tegus? What are you housing them in?

If you're housing all three of them in that fish tank - it'd probably be best if you sent them back.

How do you plan to care for three full grown tegus?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me