• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELLO!!!

Tyguy35

IMG_4831.JPG
Hello, I have actually been on here for a long time but never really posted much. My fiancée and I currently purchased our first red and blue tegus!

We live in Canada and had them ordered from Ty Parks in Florida.
I have one question temperature is dropping here in Canada getting to minus 5 degrees Celsius tonight. I have the room they are in set to 78f but the night temps inside the cage are 69f. They are about three months old. I see a lot of conflicting info on the internet on what is correct fortnight temps. I just want to make sure 69 is ok at night. Currently all they do is sleep all day so I am hoping hey are just afraid and not in shock with the temp change from Florida to Canada.

Day basking spot is 105-115 cool
Bask to hot bask. Cool side is 77 ranging up to 88

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Will be a big adjustment for them but a few month with cool overnight temps is beneficial. You're providing them with temps to rest AND to shake it off when ready.

BTW- both are beautiful.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds good thank you very much. They don't come out at all. At this age would they be burmating?
Yes. Brumation is typical for them at all ages. What varies is duration and intensity. Depends on individuals and how and where they're kept, etc.

Tyguy35

I am assuming they were outside at Ty Parks facility. So should I just be leaving them alone until they come out in there own? Even if it takes months.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am assuming they were outside at Ty Parks facility. So should I just be leaving them alone until they come out in there own? Even if it takes months.
Ask Ty how long they sleep there. In Miami, they're down three, sometimes four, months.

My three sleep a hard four months.