• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help needed soon

tangotegu

Hi my name is John and I am new to this forum. I have several monitors and decided to get a tegu several months ago. I have a b&w argentine tegu named tango who is around 4months now. He has done very good the past couple of months but this past week he has completely stopped eating and is not that active. My other concern is that he has not pooped either. His temps are at 105f basking and 80f cool area and humidity is perfect.His normal activity now is coming out to bask for 1hr and going back to his hide. I have read several things on hibernation and my concern is that this past monday he ate a nice size hopper mouse. My concern is that im not sure if he is impacted or starting to hibernate, and if he is going into hibernation do I need to make sure he poops so his stomach doesnt rot? Also for 3 days now I have soaked him in warm water for 20mins twice a day and no solid poop, only pee. Thanks-John

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you sure he hasn't pooped somewhere in the enclosure? If he hasn't there is a possibility he is impacted. What else do you feed? Can you post some pics of the enclosure?

What monitors do you have?

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
My tegu has slowed down also, despite good temps and humidity. He is pooping and eating less. He digs a lot and buries the poo. Run your fingers through the bedding to check. If it feels like poo, looks like poo, and smells like poo, I would make an educated guess that it is poo.

tangotegu

I never thought about that, (digging and pooing). Actually today he was out all day but in a lazy mood and didnt go to bed until really late tonight. Tried soaking him one more time but nothing. Im going to give it another week and continue to soak him. To answer how many monitors I have. Female savannah (waltrina) lol original named (walt) until we found out it was a female , male peach throat (pete) this guy looks freaking amazing and in the process of getting a female, a breeding pair of green tree monitors (leonard and penny) a sand fire bearded dragon (dexter) and a female citrus lavender bearded dragon, yes lavender! (nala) she is absolutely gorgeous and her purple shines! A female blue tongue skink (sydney) who just had 3 babies last week! We are breeding her with my friends australian rose blue tongue skink next, and a (sam) a mt horned dragon that I rescued about 2 months ago. Had to suringe feed him back to normal normal. He was very dehydrated and lost some horns on his back but he is doing great now. I love all my lizards and thats why I wanted to post something about tango my tegu. I am very worried and dont want anything major to happen or even death. Thanks for all the reply's. Ill get some pics of the monitors and others soon. Thanks again. Ill keep you guys posted on tango.

Some pics of tango and his enclosure. I usually feed him ground turkey, veggies, fruits, boiled eggs, chicken hearts, crickets, super worms every now and then. He was eating like a champ until last sunday I feed him a hopper mouse. I usually only give him mice twice a week. [attachment=6249][attachment=6250]

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

tangotegu

He finally pooed yesterday and was starving. Im going to hold off on mice for a while. Use them only for treats. I also just got a golden tegu today! My buddy got one in today, called me, and then it was gone (to my house).

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you post some pics of your monitors and their enclosures? You must have HUGE reptile room.

Deac77

5 Year Member
If temps and humidity are right no need to avoid feeding mice Kirby gets 15-20 mice a week (basically 2 full meals of mice the rest hare today)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu