• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help please, What is wrong with my tegu?

Khody

5 Year Member
I have had her for almost 2 months, she was about 7-8in when i got her, she is now about 13in. She has always spent a lot of time in her hide, but also a good amount of time basking. I have a Zoomed reptisun 10.0 bulb for UVB, it is behind an aluminum screen but is only about 8in from the substrate. Her basking spot stays around 95deg. I feed her crickets and ground turkey. She has never been a big eater since a got her. sill eat some of the turkey but leave most left, same with crickets.
I noticed a little while ago it looked like her mouth wasnt shutting all the way, which was strange, i have been monitoring it but i seems to have gotten a little worse. almost looks like a sore around her bottom jaw/mouth line. it is on both sides.
It doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort,
Can anyone tell me what this may be??
And what to do??
I am also a little concerned with her size, is she a normal size?
Thanks.

picture here...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://khody.smugmug.com/gallery/8533326_8VSJm#561843732_zrPBF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://khody.smugmug.com/gallery/853332 ... 3732_zrPBF</a><!-- m -->

Khody

5 Year Member
I got her from a reputable exotic pet store in my area, NERD. Which im sure many of you have heard of.
She looked ok when i got her, i dont know if it was there and i didnt notice it or it came later though.

And i am calling her a her, but really i dont know. jsut to clarify that...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know Kevin and he does not breed tegus. I would guess it is either an import, or it came from Timo at Agama, regardless I would take it to a vet and get a float done for parasites, both sources are well known to have animals full of parasites and both of them will not treat them.

Khody

5 Year Member
I know they do not breed tegus there yet, he has a couple he is trying with. But i will do that.

you do not think it could be mouth rot?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Khody said:
I know they do not breed tegus there yet, he has a couple he is trying with. But i will do that.

you do not think it could be mouth rot?

Your tegu might have some mouth rot, however, mouth rot is rarely seen by itself, there is usually something else going on. Moth rot often times is a secondary problem as a result of another underlying problem. When in doubt it is always best to see a vet, and I would start with a checkup and floats for parasites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.