• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help positively identifying my snake

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I caught this girl while herping on an island with a great population of non-native snakes from many different locales. I know she is rear fanged, mildly, venemous, and I have a fairly good idea on what she is; a jungle Cat-eyed Snake. I hear that these are very rare in the captive herp trade.
I am not positive on the type of snake, so any help or ideas would be appreciated.
FYI, she is fine with being handled, and hasn't attempted to bite me even once since I caught her (excluding the first day.) Someone...wel...actually, my father told me that there were no venemous snake on the island, which I have proven otherwise, but at the time, when I caught this lil one, I went through a few nice lil bites, with the snake sinking it's little fangs into my finger. My finger swelled up like a balloon for a while, and went back down. At this time, or atleast up until the bite, I hadn't realized she was rear-fanged (venemous, in other words.) Oh well.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1122072339.jpg

I will post more pics later. I know that this is a really low quality picture, but I don't have my memory card with the other pictures of her with me at the moment.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey it looks like a Leptodeira annulata..Just a Banded cat eye'd snake..i dont think there is another name for them besides that!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mm....thing is, I found it on the island of cozumel, Mexico....but there are loads and loads of non-native snakes there....brought over from other continents...IN FACT, there was a movie shoot a few decades ago, and it went bankrupt, and they released all the boas being used in the movie, and now there is a large population of boas living on the island (arboreal and ground snakes.)

Anybody else has any ideas, let me know, but I think I pretty much have my answers...least I hope i do...

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Cozumel is NUTS. It's like 5th Avenue Mexico style, and there are a ton of very strange animals there that aren't really supposed to be there. Just to vouch for the validity of that statement, I've been to cozumel 3 times and it's an "interesting" experience.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
Cozumel is NUTS. It's like 5th Avenue Mexico style, and there are a ton of very strange animals there that aren't really supposed to be there. Just to vouch for the validity of that statement, I've been to cozumel 3 times and it's an "interesting" experience.

Me too. 3 times. Twice at the Iberostar, and one at another....at least I believe that's what the name of the resort is.

Hell guys, there are salt water crocs there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980