• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

He's out.. Can he eat

booyea797

Alright so my Tegu (BUBA) has been out everyday past week now he comes out in the morning around 9 and goes bck under just like he used to around 6 hes been doing this yet he doesnt want to interact with me but can I fee him he looks skinny skin hanging and looks.. upset :huh: what do i do help out this fourm has been a bit cold shoulder to me a few times for no reason thanks

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
You can try offering food as soon as they are back up for hibernation, whether they take it or not is up to the tegu but you can begin offering food asap. I will say that my tegus usually wont take food for about a week after a long hibernation since they are just waking back up and still a bit slow at first. Once they start eating though they are going to eat alot and will shed the ugly hibernation skin off pretty quick

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm in the same situation. One of my tegus woke up 10 days ago and another about 5 days ago. We've had some warm and humid weather lately. I wasn't sure if I should feed either because we will likely have another cold snap.

I was feeding my Colombian tegus yesterday and decided to try and feed the other tegus to see if they would eat. Lean beef pieces dusted w calcium was on the menu, so I offered the first one a piece w tongs. She seemed ready to eat! I only gave her three pieces because I didn't want her first meal to be heavy. The second tegu who hadn't been up as long and seemed sleepy only ate one piece and didn't want any more. My red is still snoozing.

So if you choose to, offer him a bite and see what his reaction is. Tegus that aren't ready to eat will turn away and those that are hungry will want to eat. I would start with a small meal that is easy to digest. And like omgtaylorg said, the skin will shed soon, too.

Dana C

My juvenile, Eva is in a pattern where she will disappear for a day or two for a couple of days she is up with the birds. On a couple of occasions, I was surprised to see how much she ate. Junior, my 5 month old AA, is doing pretty much the same but is not awake as much and doesn't always eat when he does wake up.
You are right Laura, when they want to eat, it happens right away. If mine turn away, I remove the food and refrigerate it until the next day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980