• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hey Every1 On Tegu Talk, Theres a new kid on the block

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I know my subject heading is kind of cheesy but i couldn't think of anything. Anyways as you can tell by my user name my name is Bobby (hope you don't confuse me with the tegu sage varnyard ;) ) anyways I am a sophomore and high school and I've had a bunch of reptiles, and animals in general but now because of constant moving and my over reactive mother, I do not have many
I've had
Beardeds, Ball pythons, iguanas (mean as anything), a bunch of frogs, red foot tortoise(caught and released it in Brazil) garter snakes, california ks, rose hair tarantula, house geckos and recently a diamondback terrapin that my dad caught from the beach ( i let it go a few days later)
But now with this huge absence of reptiles and only having an african cichlid aquarium and a dog, i've been looking into the best reptile for me.
I want a reptile that
1) genuinely seeks out interaction with its owner
2) not a bearded dragon (too popular in my mind)
3) is unique to most other reptiles
So recently I've visited a respectable reptile shop and I had (literally) a tegu in one hand and a blue tongue skink in the other. unfortunately the tegu was colombian and was kinda skittish so i gave it back to the guy. he explained that argentines are calmer, almost dog-like, so he told me to research both animals and come back later . After looking up both tegus and bts I have learned so much about tegus and im proud to say my next animal is going to be one! Before i buy, (and after) I am going to be doing my homework and being quite active on this awesome forum to help me out :-D

ZEKE

5 Year Member
welcome! have you decided what kind of tegu you are getting yet? and where you are getting it from?

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
In a perfect world, I would be getting a red tegu baby this summer from Bobby Hill:-D , unfortunately I still have to work out my summer job with my dad, which might delay my new purchase from what would've been two weeks to at most about 2 months. If Varnyard doesn't have any red babies left, I'll get a b&w. Worst comes to worst I'll go to my local reptile store which normally has B&w's and colombians.[/quote]

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It might be another month before Bobby's reds are available. Talk it over with your father and maybe you could get a deposit down on one now before they're all gone.

Of course, do your homework and decide if you can handle feeding and housing a potential 4 foot lizard. I think they're worth it. If we didn't already have a Red I'd get one.

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Of course, do your homework and decide if you can handle feeding and housing a potential 4 foot lizard.

yea this site and others have helped a ton and i have so many leftover tanks for the guy =D
for a hatchling i got a 20 long aquarium
yearling i have a 55 aq.
and next summer (permitting everything works) i've found cheap plans for a 8x3x3 wood setup

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the community, and I hope we can answer any questions you may have.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bobbydesi said:
yea this site and others have helped a ton and i have so many leftover tanks for the guy =D
OH NO!!! ETS (Empty Tank Syndrome)!!!!

bobbydesi said:
for a hatchling i got a 20 long aquarium
yearling i have a 55 aq.
and next summer (permitting everything works) i've found cheap plans for a 8x3x3 wood setup
A 55G tank is only 1ft wide (48" long), a 75G (48" x 18") would be a better choice for up to a year old. He could be 36" long at 1 year.

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
a 75G (48" x 18") would be a better choice for up to a year old. He could be 36" long at 1 year.

that's true, that's what i have though at the present moment. I was using yearling as a general term i suppose whatever age he/she is when its too large to turn around easily in a 55 I'll put the working gloves on and build the big one lol. and i've been suffering from ets for a while now and tegus are the cure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me