• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HEY EVERYONE! NEW HERE WITH NEW TEGU!

chasehelschien

5 Year Member
Hey guys, so I'm new to this forum and new to having reptiles. 17 years old, live in South Florida. I was thinking about pets and visited Ben Siegel Reptiles near where I live, and I decided to get a pet tegu! It's a baby black and white x red tegu hybrid. I'll post some pictures later. I also have some questions. Anyways this site is awesome :-D and I'm very happy with my new tegu!

Chase

chasehelschien

5 Year Member
alright here we go

dsc05071ag2.jpg

dsc05073ae4.jpg

dsc05074wk7.jpg

dsc05078zc7.jpg

dsc05079bc5.jpg

dsc05080jq4.jpg

dsc05081es7.jpg

dsc05083im1.jpg

dsc05084sc7.jpg

dsc05085jv5.jpg

chasehelschien

5 Year Member
right now hes about 12 inches long and in a 20 gallon tank (i know ill have to be gettin a bigger tank soon :-D)

also i had some questions

1. hes really calm and relaxed and curious once i get him out of his cage, but i always have a hard time getting him out, he acts very scared and runs away from me as quickly as he can when im reachin to get him out, and the second hes out of his cage he becomes completely calm and relaxed, any ideas why this is happening and if it will get better?

2. and secondly ive had him for a couple weeks now and ive been feeding him canned tegu food, sliced turkey, and eggs (all with calcium sprinkled on) and he likes all those, but he hasnt wanted to eat any fruits that ive offered him yet... will this diet be okay for him or do i need to start doing the crickets, worms, mice etc. ?

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you Grab him when you try to get him out of the cage? When trying to take him out..you should place your hand in there and let him come check you out, without grabbing at him.
You shouldnt feed canned tegu food! Turkey,chicken,Beef,Beef Heart, Hardboiled eggs are all great foods, Somtimes as babies they wont take fruits..it might take awhile to get him to eat them..try mixing the fruits with his turkey or what your feeding that day..You should have him on crickets and mealworms, even some pinkies.. But i would keep him off the canned foods.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its said to lead to liver problems in tegus and montiors. I personly would feed any reptile anything canned.
He is a beautiful little guy tho!! I have a RedxBlue Hybrid...Hybrids have awesome colorations and patterns

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great looking tegu. Very unique. Stick with fresh foods and your good to go.

Welcome to the forums!

jor71

5 Year Member
yeah that one is a keeper. I was at Ben's last weekend and was going to buy one of them, but need to wait before I get another one!

You can pick up some frozen pinkies, mealworms and crickets from Ben. I just picked up 10 fuzzies for my little guy and it was under 10 bucks.

I mix the fruit with the ground turkey and he eats them up.

BTW, welcome to TeguTalk :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you could join us!!

And I agree with these guys, great looking tegu!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.