• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hey Varnyard

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
I was just wondering, nobody knows where exacly blue tegus come from, but there are red/blue, b&w/blue hybrids, but the reds and black and whites are argentines, so I was wondering, are blue tegus argentines? if not, is it possible to breed between a Extremes with a blue, reds with a Extreme, or a B&W with a Extreme, my brother said that he saw a red and a back and white cross for sale a couple days ago, and asked me how many tegu species are there, so i said there are blues, columbian golds, columbian black and whites, blues, argentine black and whites, argentine reds, and chacos, then he asked me is it possible to breed between a columbian and argentine black and whites, which was obviously no, then he asked me if it was possible to breed a blue with a columbian?
so..............?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
well reds and blues have been crossed, reds and b&w's, blues and b&w's. Bobby's Chacoans should be crossed with all different species, just to see their outcome, they would definitely be something to look for. I've always wondered about columbians, I'd love to see a columbian mixed with something, buthey're a royal pain in the butt to get to breed I hear, so I think it's kind of a dropped trial, which is ttoo bad, because I like columbians.

COWHER

5 Year Member
blues, reds, argentine black and whites, and extreme giants or chacoans can all be bred with each other. bobby has the Chacoans and they are highly prized and wanted, therefor there is no reason for him to bred them with any other kinds of tegus yet.. they are cool on there own. he has made comments before that he has plans to bred the last generation of pure chacoans (to avoid inbreeding) with some normal arg. b+w's that he has been selectively breding to get a high white color and large size. at that time I too think it would be cool to see a extreme crossed with some of the other types of tegus.. As for Colombians being cross bred with argentine tegus of any color I have never heard of someone wanting to try that never mind even breding Colombians together. they are more cost effective to import than to bred on your own.

olympus

5 Year Member
Cowher I agree chacoans are some of the hottest tegus I have ever seen. I can't wait to get mine and take it to my local pet-co and watch people go crazy. Chacoans in my opinion should not be crossed with anything else.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well guys, I am not big on crossing tegus, but I will cross out some of my Extremes with high white normals as Cowher stated. However, those plans will be at least six years down the road. The holdbacks from this season are not related, it will be three years before they mature, and they will be bred to the unrelated holdbacks then and will produce pure Extreme offspring. These offspring from them will mature in another three years, or in six years from now, these animals will be the ones I will not breed back to other extremes due to inbreeding, I will cross these out to the high white normals.

One thing to keep in mind, tegus can breed for ten years if kept healthy. So, I will have pure Extreme babies for a long time to come, due to the multiple clutches over the ten years of time I am able to breed these hold backs I have now. I kept three males from one pair (Ice and Hail) and three females from the other clutch (Snow and Sleet). So these hold backs I have now, are non-related pairs.

As for crossing the Extremes to the Blues, I don't think it could even be done, due to the huge size difference. I also would not breed any blues to any of my stock due to the very heavy inbreeding found in them. I also have no plans to cross reds with my Extremes; I am not real big on cross breeding.

The reds are a separate species (Tupinambis rufescens). However the Extremes, Blues and the normal Argentines are thought to be all (Tupinambis merianae). Not just by me, but by all the leading experts. Langerwerf, Abe, Fitzgerald and myself.

The Colombians (Tupinambis teguixin) have never been bred in the U.S. that I know of, not alone crossed out. These are also a separate species. However, there were at one time many rumors that the Blue were (Tupinambis teguixin), it just was not true.

Deon

5 Year Member
ok well if a blue x extreme were possible would you give it a go? at what age are the extremes sexually mature? Maybe you could hook a younger yet sexually mature enough extreme with and adult female Blue? How would there sizes compare then?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
As for crossing the Extremes to the Blues, I don't think it could even be done, due to the huge size difference. I also would not breed any blues to any of my stock due to the very heavy inbreeding found in them. I also have no plans to cross reds with my Extremes; I am not real big on cross breeding.

Nope, he won't introduce Blues because they are already so inbred.

angelrose

5 Year Member
I understand what everybody is saying :shock: .

why can't I find any male colombians :?:

I am searching for a male colombian.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jif is correct, I really do not want to breed the blues we have in our market, they are just too inbred. I really wish we could bring in some new blood.

As for crossing them with the extremes, that would not be able to happen, even if I wanted to cross with them, there is just way to much difference in the sizes.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Who cares. Bobby, you have some really nice looking tegus. I mean, of course you want to refine the quality of your stock with some selective breeding, but it's nice to here that you seem content with what you have (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm pretty satisfied with what's out there. I think a lot of crosses arise out of a mixture of curiosity and or boredom. Personally from what I've seen, the originals are usually more attractive than the crosses.

And, one last thing I wanna mention. Hopefully this isn't straying too far off topic. I think it's really upsetting when I look in the classified adds and see people getting rid of their tegus so that they can get a new "designer tegu". There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good old black and white. With patience, they can make great captives, even if they don't have the "show off" quality in their favor. I think if you're willing to ditch your pet for the new hottest thing, maybe you should be collecting baseball cards, not animals. But that's my personal take.

-Chris

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
oh man, i just had the craziest dream on this topic, here's what i dreamed what would happen if they were cross bred

BluexEG= Saphire tegus (dark blue with no white at all, just black)
RedxEG= Ruby tegus (bright shiny red with black stripes, no white)
B&WxEG= Darkness tegus (black tegu with gray stripes)

other than that, i don't know why i keep dreaming about reptiles, and i don't even know why i posted this

angelrose

5 Year Member
I am just curious. I do not have a red or a blue so I really can't tell but how can you breed a red and blue together ? isn't that a size difference ?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I am just curious. I do not have a red or a blue so I really can't tell but how can you breed a red and blue together ? isn't that a size difference ?

There is, but the extremes are much larger than the reds, it just seems to be too much size difference in the blues and extremes.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:

Yes, there usually is, but it can still be done.

edit: oops, Bobby already answered! sorry guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980