• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi all!

Mootworm

I just recently got my first tegu, Molly :) I'm absolutely in love with her, but I do have a few concerns. Hopefully I've come to the right place! I purchased her at an expo and was told she is a year old... But she seems very small, from what I've been reading on Argentines. I hope her size comes across in the pics. I can get an exact weight on her if needed. Also, she doesn't seem to be all that enthusiastic about eating. She's had a bit of liver, buzzards and ground turkey, but only a bite here and there. Although she did tear into quite a few blueberries the other day. Anyway, it's been about two weeks of this, should I be concerned? I've seen nothing of the voracious appetites I've been reading about.

Also, in regards to handling, she's very rarely out of her hide/burrow, and I don't want to force handle her... But how am I to ensure she's eating ( I'd prefer to feed outside the enclosure) if she never comes out? Do I just chalk it up to hibernation?

Here's a bit on my husbandry if it helps: basking spot hovers at 115 average, cool side is around 85, temps achieved with powersun and CHE. Substrate is a mix of organic potting soil, eco earth and sand. I have a humidifier set on a timer, it's usually at 85%. Sorry for the novel!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (Pics were taken when I first set up her enclosure, when I SEVERELY underestimated how much bedding I'd need lol)

IView attachment 7839
View attachment 7840

Mootworm

Thanks. Any advice on how I should handle her, if at all? Check on her every other day, once a week, etc? I'm probably worrying too much, but she's my first lizard :) Well, my fiance has a frilly, but he doesn't hindrance, so I don't freak out about him lol.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to TeguTalk! You'll probably want to get her used to your presence before you go straight for handling. Ease her into things. Give her some time to settle in too! :) ;)
You may need to re-upload your photos. They don't seem to be working properly... Let me know if you need help!

Mootworm

Welcome to TeguTalk! You'll probably want to get her used to your presence before you go straight for handling. Ease her into things. Give her some time to settle in too! :) ;)
You may need to re-upload your photos. They don't seem to be working properly... Let me know if you need help!

Thanks for the welcome! I probably should have rephrased... By handle, I mean dig through the dirt to make sure she's breathing lol. I've had her since the 8th, and I've taken her out 3 times, for feeding only (I've since given up on feeding outside the enclosure for the time being, I'll work on that when she's awake/more comfortable).

I've been reading on hibernation, and I cant seem to find a definite answer... should I stop offering food and turn off lights? Just shorten the photoperiod? Leave it be? I know I'm probably worrying too much, but I don't want to risk it!!! Thanks again!

Michael Soto

Im still trying to get mine comfy with me picking him/her up so it does take time. As long as ur not feeding live you shouldnt have a problem with being bitten. but feeding in enclosures is mixed views from everyone. I've read but not tried using an old shirt you wear a couple times and not washing it just put it in the enclosure. Its supposed to help them get used to ur sent.

Mootworm

Im still trying to get mine comfy with me picking him/her up so it does take time. As long as ur not feeding live you shouldnt have a problem with being bitten. but feeding in enclosures is mixed views from everyone. I've read but not tried using an old shirt you wear a couple times and not washing it just put it in the enclosure. Its supposed to help them get used to ur sent.

She was absolutely fine with me picking her up, although that may have been due to the fact that she's totally out of it. I'm not going to start actively working with her until she's fully awake. I don't think a tshirt would do much good at this stage, as she's dead to the world under a foot of dirt :)

So here's my game plan: I'm shortening my photoperiod to about 8 hrs a day, keep her soil moist, and I'll offer her food if she's out and about for more than two days. So far she's only moved when I uncover her body to check that she's still breathing, and to get water/ rearrange her burrow. Looks like I'll be saving a bit on food for the time being :)

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I would keep lights and heat everything the same as it should be and do not disturb her while shes buried. Sometimes it can take awhile for them to settle in. Just add a plate of food in and leave it in throughout the day. Let her come out to it. if she goes a few days without coming out to eat at all, then just let her be, add food when you see shes been out. but dont try to un cover her.

Mootworm

Alrighty then. How long should I leave the food out? I had it out in the beginning for about 8 hours (while I was at work), I came home and the stench was unbearable. Nothing like liver cooking under a heat lamp! After she went underground (about 4 days after I got her) I've been doing weekly checks for signs of life, but I'll stop that. I'm hoping she'll come back soon. I was really looking forward to working with her!

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Oh once a week or every few days poke is fine, just dont go digging for her daily is what I meant. Try whole prey, f/t rodent, shrimp, fish, quail ... much better and tastier than liver or ground meats.

Mootworm

Ahh gotcha. Yeah I've been trying to disturb her as little as possible. As for diet, I breed my own rats, so I've got plenty for her to chow down on :) She hasn't shown any interest in rats or ASF. I've also offered her river shrimp that we feed our frilly occasionally, but no dice on that either :/ I havent offered fish yet, but I'm stocking up on tilapia for when she's alive again. But I figure she'll stay buried til she's good and ready, then eat me out of house and home :D

Mootworm

It's alive!!!! My girl has FINALLY decided to join the waking world :D I'm ecstatic!! She was a bit more nervous around me than before she went down, so that's a bit of a bummer, but I'm sure she'll come around once I really start working with her. She ate a couple of dubia for me, as well as some berries this evening. I still can't get her to eat whole prey for me, all in good time.

Now that she seems alert and active, I'll be picking up some fresh fish and treats for her tomorrow. I can't wait to start spoiling my baby!!

Mootworm

Well, she has a major sweet tooth, so I tong-feed her blueberries mostly and a bit of pineapple. I figure they're like most creatures in that too much sugar is bad, so I've been using sweet fruit to make her come close to me :) She absolutely DEVOURS blueberries now that she's fully awake. But I have to cut them in half, since sometimes she drops them and gets frustrated when she can't pick them up lol. It's super cute.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Well, she has a major sweet tooth, so I tong-feed her blueberries mostly and a bit of pineapple. I figure they're like most creatures in that too much sugar is bad, so I've been using sweet fruit to make her come close to me :) She absolutely DEVOURS blueberries now that she's fully awake. But I have to cut them in half, since sometimes she drops them and gets frustrated when she can't pick them up lol. It's super cute.

That sounds so cute. You should record a video of that.

Mootworm

That sounds so cute. You should record a video of that.
Haha I'll try. She wasn't up yet when I left for work (that lazy bum! ) so I didn't get to watch her eat. But she did go through her first shed with me!!! I came home to find it mostly in two huge chunks, so I'm happy my humidity has been sufficient. And I loooove the polka dot shed. It's so cool. My snakes are seeming pretty boring compared to this girl lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980