• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi From Nottingham

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I just joined the forums as i picked up my red tegu yesterday and this seems to be the place where the experts hang out!

Never kept a Tegu before, I do Keep Cane Toads and Alligator Snapping Turtles though.

Anyway, here is a picture of my new red tegu Bob. The store origianlly thought it was a he but after a few weeks decided it was female, for now, we are just calling her/him "Bob".

Mike

413.jpg

411.jpg

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Welcome to the community. :-D And wow, what a great looking specimen. How old is it? Sure looks well fed, if not needing a diet LOL Awesome

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Thanks, he is a bit of a fatty!

I think he is about a year old, he has a few stubby toes and claws but apart from that he looks in good condition!

He is 100% the softest reptile I've ever owned, he comes straight out of the Viv when you call his name. When I went to see him at the reptile center for the first he ran straight out of the viv and sat in my lap. The hard part now is getting him on veggies, He'll eat mouse after mouse all day but is not keen on veggies at all, guess that explains why he's so tubby :)

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
you could try him on some egg. Scramble egg mixed with fresh veggies. Be careful to add the veggies at the very end so they don't get cooked. And wow I never heard of a lizard respond to his name being called. You have a very special pet I'd think. Great stuff :-D

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
and yeah I know what you meen by soft. They are harvested for their hides to make belts. wallets, boots and hats. I guess it's a sad thing but atleast the people who hunt them will also take the meat home to feed their families. So in a small way I guess it's gonna have to be alright, even if I disagree. It's like the natives (indians) do. Waste no part right? I like petting my tegu too.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
I've never seen a reptile come when called either, maybe its just the tone of voice ot the fact that he was getting fed everytime the reptile center called his name!

So far he is great fun. I love my Alligator Snapper but he can go a month without moving a muscle so the Tegu is much more fun to own!

I'll try the scrambled egg tomorrow , thanks for the tip! I managed tog et him to eat veggies this morning by putting the fuzzies on top of it, he didn't eat them on purpose, more becasue he just dived straight in!

Sorry for the double post btw!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980