• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi from Southern Minnesota

G

Hello everyone, My name is Dustin and I have 2 Arg B&W tegus and a Common Boa. I have always been into snakes but have just fell in love with Tegu's. I live up in southern minnesota. I have had one Tegu since last september and recently picked up another one this last weekend. I joined this site a while ago after using it for much of my research on Tegu's before I purchased my first one and forgot about it since then as life got a little crazy. My newest tegu is a little over 3' and I am hoping it is a female but I plan on taking both to the herp vet in town to get them sexed. My first tegu just started comming out for longer periods of time as since nov has been coming out only for a couple hours a day. I have kept the hummidity in the enclosre in the 60-80 range but he looks like he is having a bad shed, is this normal for coming out of hibernation or anything? I have been giving him baths every other day and he has been getting a lot better now with that and him being out more. Look forward to getting to know people and I thank you for sharing all your information that I have already used!

G

Welcome !!

Some pictures of your tegu`s works should clear up that sex question ..

Help your tegus shed by long soaks in warm water and addressing problem spots with[ mineral oil] or woman's face cream ...

G

Pictures are a can do.
here is my hopefully female
DSC01286.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

My other one is only 7 or 8 months old which wouldn't be showing any visual signs right? or would it?

G

The smaller one may be to small but pictures of their [butts] may be of some help ..

G

alright, I will snap a couple when I take them out for dinner and baths here early this evening.

Thanks for the willingness to help and the welcome!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
After about a year to year and a half of age you should be able to feel two hard knots the size of bb's on the underside of the base of a male's tail... this would be where you expect his *woohoo* to be.

Once you feel them on a male it will be very easy to understand what I am talking about and in the future it will become very easy to sex adolescent or adult Tegus.

Oh, and welcome (back) to Tegu Talk!

G

Here is a shot of the little one. It's under a year so may not be of any help.
DSC01288.jpg

It's tail area has obviously larger bumps than the other.

Here is the big one, I felt around and didn't feel anything hard.
DSC01289.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029