• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi Guys/Girls!

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
My names Spencer, I'm 14 years old. I own a male Green Iguana named Napoleon he's 2 years in my care in June, he was a rescue, the first herp i ever owned as well. I also own a Bearded Dragon named Dante it will be his second birthday on April 19th :-D I also a male Ball Python named Monty. I'm thinking of getting a Argentine Black & White Tegu. He would be housed in a 6'x2.5'x3' as I've been told that would be fine for a adult what do you guys think? Also i was told by a site about Tegu's so don't worry it wasn't some Bearded Dragon site or anything :)

Spencer

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The cage will last you quite a long time, especially if you get a hatchling. Owners have kept theirs in 6x3's quite comfortably. The 2.5 wide is a little thin for my liking. As a full growing adult I would suggest upping the cage size to atleast a 8x3 or 4 ft. if you can fit it. I am in the process of making a 10x4.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
6'x2.5'x3' is not wide enough for an adult, IMO. You will have a 3.5-4ft+ lizard on your hands and no room to turn around in its enclosure.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Ok, thank you PuffDragon! I'll deffinately upgrade the tank down the road then :) I might be able to get a 350 Gallon tank for 200 bucks with the stand and top so i can't pass it up plus it will make for a great tank for some other herp :) I currently don't own the tank or tegu so no big rush or anything. Anybody know of a Canadian breeder or importer? preferably in Ontario?

Thanks,
Spencer

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Here's my rule of thumb for almost any lizard, with some exceptions for the more active species. I suggest a minimum of 2x the lizard's length long and 1x the lizard's length wide. The height depends on the species. For and iguana I'd go 6 ft. The purpose of these measurements is to allow the animal to move its entire body in and out of the warm side of the enclosure. It's not impossible for an iguana to get close to 6 ft, so a 6 ft enclosure would be unfair for such a beast.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

-Chris

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
No worries Chris i know how to care for Napoleon but thank you anyways :) I'll have to make a cage down the for the Tegu thats a bit bigger but what would you guys say is the max it could live in there? 1 year? 1.5 years?

Also Chris Napoleon came from a 55 gallon (previous owners)so i don't expect him to get huge like the others but we'll see won't we :-D

Spencer

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
what would you guys say is the max it could live in there? 1 year? 1.5 years?
It really depends on how much you feed it and what the cage conditions are. Also consider whether or not you're going to hibernate the tegu. Just use the rule of thumb I gave you in my previous post, and use that to determine if the tegu needs a move.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
How would one hibernate a tegu? by lowering the temps to mimic there natural environment? Where would you place the tegu while it is hibernating?

Spencer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980