• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi, new and doing research

bisketandme

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am really interested in the B/W Tegu. I heard they are the easiest to tame and the friendliest. Can you tell me which would be the best choice in gender. I always love the larger head in the males, but what about temperment? I don't have one yet. I want to learn as much as I can first.

Cheryl

hoosier

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- m -->

this should help alot :-D

and welcome to tegutalk :-D

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bisketandme said:
Hi,

I am really interested in the B/W Tegu. I heard they are the easiest to tame and the friendliest. Can you tell me which would be the best choice in gender. I always love the larger head in the males, but what about temperment? I don't have one yet. I want to learn as much as I can first.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, and welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you joined us.

As for the tame tegus, any of the ones that are not Colombian tegus. The Argentine black and whites, Extreme giants, Reds or Blues. The Colombian Black and the Colombian golds are not going to get as tame. The Colombian black tegus are often called Black and whites, but that is a maketing ploy to fool someone into thinking it is an Argentine. I hope this helps you out as well. :)

Schnab

5 Year Member
Before getting your tegu, do your research first, and lot's of it. Best thing though are forums such as theise for more specefic help. Keep in mind that there are sub-species of tegu, so go a bit more in depth when you do research. The most common are the B&W Argentines becose the care is generaly easy, and they are the easiest to tame. Reds would come in second cose I hear they are more prone to skin problems, then the Blues which dont get as big, and then the Columbians which alot of people say they are hardest to tame but I've seen some tame ones.

When you'r futur tegu arrives, give it a while to settle down and adjust. Once it's calm then you can slowly introduce your self to its enviroment. Best trick is to put some freshly worne clothing for the tegu to become familiar with your scent. I don't think it really matters between sexes for temperment. I have a male cose I like the bulkiness of male tegus lol. But whenever he's active it's so amazing to observe them.

At first it's a bit stressful for a new owner to get used to whatever it is you got. But it's all in as a learning experience, especialy knowing how big and how fast tegus grow.

Good Luck :)

bisketandme

5 Year Member
Thank you. I am doing research on both the Bearded Dragons and B/W Argentine Tegu's. I have heard good things about both. I really love the look of the B/W's and I would really love the the size. I do know that if I choose the Tegu it will be the B/W Argentine.

Thanks all.

Cheryl

Schnab

5 Year Member
If you decide to go with an argentine tegu, find a breeder so you know what you'r getting. If you'r in the States, you'll find some everywhere. However it's a little complicated if you'r from elsewhere. I just happened to come across a breeder that was in my province.

Males are usualy bigger then females. They get about 5 feet and weight a good 15-20 lbs.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Out of the T. merianae I think males tend to have a calmer demeaner.

welcom.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980