• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hi new here!

snakegirl17

5 Year Member
i want to get a Argentinian black and white tegu.

why? i been babysitting my sisters three tegus for a week. and i really do like this one. and it happens to be a Argentinian black and white tegu. his really sweet. just kinda jumpier. still i really like him. :-D his name is taz. but i know my sister will not part with him. or any of her tegus.

:mrgreen: So i was hoping to get one of my own. the reptile breeder i know is going to have some babies in a few weeks. and by that time i hope i know everything there is to know and more. i love animals. having 5 corn snakes. then my rescued pets. are 2 Lizards. one being a bearded dragon. and a Uromastyx. then my rabbit and two sugar gliders and my cat. so i hope i can add a tegu in. thanks!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome!

It sounds like you are well on your way. Be sure you'll have room for a large (at least 6ft x 3ft x 2ft) enclosure when he gets older. Bigger is better.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
welcome to the tegutalk forum snakegirl17! i recognize you from repticzone. i look forward to seeing pics of your tegu when you get it.

snakegirl17

5 Year Member
Ahh yes! firs thing i wanna ask. i hope its ok to ask it in this page. i should be moving. in aug. by that time i was going to be building. a 3 story cage. 3 cages on top of one another 6ft x 3ft x 2ft. for my lizards and tegu (i hope to get) but from now till Aug. what size cage is ok to use? it will be a hatchling.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can start in a 20G long (for only a few months, they grow fast), then a 75G or move right up to the full size (it'll be harder to find a small tegu in the final enclosure). A bigger final enclosure would be better. Mine are 7ft x 3ft x 3ft, with (2) stacked. I wish I had room for bigger. Look here for ideas. http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

snakegirl17

5 Year Member
Ok well. my sister is coming over today to pick up her tegus
): means i have to say goodbye to taz. and everyone else. but i guess then i can really sit down and read about them

snakegirl17

5 Year Member
hi thanks, well the tegus where here for a week. i had to babysit them. she was going to newyork. she didnt want to bring anything over....so i had to makeshift everything i could think of. to care for 3 Tegus. (2 that i was told where Mean) and the other 3 foot long!. she basicly just droped them off. well i put them in cages. i wanted them to have there Own cages! but she couldnt bringing there cages!..she didnt want too... so all i had was 20 longs... :( i know its not what you guy wanna here. but its all i had. and she didnt give me anything for them. NOTHING! and i had no clue what to do. infact her first idea was to keep them all in my bathtub...and i said a huge no to that one. all i have is alot of 20 long cages. for corn snakes. so i put them in one. and she got mad about that and i had to put the 2 mean ones togather. they didnt fight. but still. i know it wasnt even near the size cages they needed. well i loved this "mean" tegu, and now i want one. she will not let me have taz... :cry: but i will never treat mine like she does hers. she loves them and feeds them. but doesnt have everything they need. and thats where me and her bump heads.

i kept taking them out one at a time letting them walk around.but i still felt bad. Taz i feel bad for.they twitch and i know why its because they have no UV lighting. :cry: i have 2 lights but there for my other lizards. i use it for a hour on them. i tried giving taz so d3. and it seem to calm his shaking. for a little bit...still i wish i could have done more.

and now the tegus are gone. she took them back. i told her she needs a few things, like moss/bark bedding. not aspen. and bigger cages also UV lighting. but nothing seems to work when i tell her.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They're not going to do very well without UVB. It sounds like MBD has already started. How can she ignore the twitching???!!!! That has to be a clue there's something wrong!

Point her to this site to get some good info before it's too late.

How old/big are they??

snakegirl17

5 Year Member
i told her over and over. the one is 2 years old. it dosnt shed well since its in aspen 55 gal under heat lamp and thats its. the other 2. one has a bent spin. its deformed. and mean. but i think its mad since i think it is in pain they way it was born. the other black and white one. taz shakes something bad. all of them do. i tried telling her. but she doesnt seem to mind. i get well its too much money or something like that. ) :

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me