• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HI!!

Varanus K.Face

Howdy! My names Kayla. I'm new to the site. :-D
I've been working with reptiles my whole life, although I've only been really serious about it about ten years now. I love all reptiles, however I have an intense interest in Varanids. About a year ago I adopted my first tegu from Reptile Rescue Orange County, and he has been soooo amazing!!! He is roughly 6 years old (according to his previous owners) and although they do not recall his exact bloodlines, he is an extreme giant. I will post pics of him asap!
I look forward to meeting all of you! :cheers

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome, I am just getting interested in Varanids. Do you keep any?

Varanus K.Face

I do! Currently I have a male v. Salvator macromaculatus "sumatran water monitor" and a male v.panoptes hornii/gouldii flavirufus cross or "argus/sand monitor"

I dont have more than that currently, as I prefer to give my lizards as much space as possible, and the three boys are all I feel comfortable keeping in my teeny tiny home :) I have previously kept v. Albigularis, v. Rudicollis, v. Niloticus, v. Exanthematicus, v.s. Bivittatus, v. Salvadorii, v. Melinus, v. Timorensis, v. Prasinus, and I did not own, but have had the Immense pleasure of working with and caring for a pair of v. Varius. As well as assisting in many rare and exciting breeding projects over the years :)

I have been very blessed to work with some amazing people and some amazing animals in my young life, and only look forward to learning more!! :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, you are someone it seems I can pick their brain for varanid info. Can you post some pics of both your Salvator and Panoptes and their enclosures? I am leaning toward getting a Panoptes or a Panoptes/Flavii cross.

Varanus K.Face

I will do my best, but most of my posting is from my phone, so it might take me a second to figure out how to upload from here hahaha. For varanids, my best advice is your enclusure can never be too big for an adult animal. They are incredibly intelligent, and soooo curious, they need as much room as you can offer them. For v.p.hornii I would say a minimum 8x4x5, as they are very avid diggers as well as climbers. If you get a cross, it really depends on the percentage, as sizes can very, but I would go big just in case. Mine is a cross, but is still about 4 ft...maybe a little more. A while room would be ideal for any monitor though, so go as big as you possibly can! Your animal will love you for it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus