• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernating already?

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i got my baby red tegu on saturday, and put him in his new enclosure on the same day
i haven't seen him saturday afternoon, ishe hibernating already? i tried to give him some superworms but he refused and made a little burrow in his hide and haven't made a noise since

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
well, looks like he's hibernating then
i'm in school right now and i put some fruit and vegis in his tank for him this morning to see if he's interested or not, i guess is he's not going to eat it
then how do i not make him hibernate? i want a fast growing tegu insted of a slow growing hibernating tegu for some reason, not for my own fun, but.....

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
You can keep up the temps and run his light cycles, however, you won't get him to act like nothing's happening. He will go in for 3-4 days and come out, again and again and again. Let him hibernate. Heck you might want to get him a lady friend someday, and what's more exciting than waiting for tegu eggs to hatch? Nothing. You gotta look at the long run imo. I look at tegus like any other reptile. Let em do what they do.

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
My new baby <Joker> ate the first day I got him and 2 days later he went to sleep and I saw him come out and poop and now he is gone again.
Very sad. :(
I have 4 tegus,2 of them are really hibernating,one <RED> is trying to so I am letting him do what he wants LOL as if I could stop him.
I have one thats still up and its the Chacoan but he has been free roaming so dunno if he will go to sleep or not.

Brat!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It looks like the lesson here is don't buy a Tegu just before winter and expect to see it.

Our Red is up and down, we never know if we're going to see him.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
hmm, Vegas ate some fruit that i gave him this morning before school, and came out to eat some raw eggs, now he's basking
is he preparing to hibernate?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He might of just been shook up from the shipping and wanted some "alone" time. Usually if they eat and bask they are not going to hibernate. You will know over the next few days for sure. If he continues to eat, deficate and come out keep feeding. If he's hiding a few days then poking out I wouldn't feed him because you wouldnt want him going into hibernation with food in the stomach.

dorton

5 Year Member
Hibernation is such a strong word, I don't like it.
Brumation sounds a lot better, they are just in a reeeaaaaalyyyyy slow state when in brumation and can come and go as they please, but if you are going to cycle him don't cut his temps down untill his digestive tract has cleared.
Keep the temps up, and he will still act lazy compared to what he will next spring/summer.

nat

5 Year Member
My little red did the same thing at the beginning of sept. Up until last week I thought I wouldn't see him until spring but he has started coming out everyday now. I would recommend just letting him settle in and get used to everything (I have my guy a good week before I started really trying to interact with him). Leave food and water out for him and just watch what he is doing.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a whole bunch of them down, I can't wait until spring. Some tegu will hibernate regardless of what you do, if they don't go into full hibernation, they will still slow down during winter.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
well, i got back from school today, and found my little Vegas chillin out in his water bowl, which i though was unusual, then he seemed to want to come out a bit, so i let him out, handled him a bit, and see if he was hungry or not, then he took some crickets and went back to his hide

TommyK

Hey KoreanDeathKid,

That sounds like encouraging news for me. I just got a Tegu on Saturday. She was really active the first few hours then burrowed. She has been burrowed in the same spot since (it's now Wednesday morning). It seems like this may be a common response to changing homes. How has your Tegu been? Did he or she decide to hibernate? You see her much, or is she usually burrowed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980