• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation and infertility

jmiles50

5 Year Member
So, I've read some info that suggested females skipping a hibernation can result in infertility. Now it seemed a little far fetched to me, but I'm no expert :? Has anyone else heard of that :?:

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's the rumor. Not breeder is going to test that one!

I know for sure the Blue's don't need to hibernate. Ours didn't last year and we got hatchlings!!!!

jmiles50

5 Year Member
I just ask because I might wanna breed in the future. She still spends the whole day out and is still eating the same. I'm wondering if I need to start helping her go into hibernation so she doesn't miss it :?:

argus333

5 Year Member
i would if u wanna breed and it makes for easy maintenance when they go down fully, less to feed....

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bert Langerwerf claimed if they missed a hibernation they would not breed.

I do not know for sure either way, I have never kept a tegu out of hibernation to see the effects. I will say this though, Argentine tegus can be found living very close to the equator where it does not get cold, winter is the rainy season, do they hibernate there if the weather does not get cold? I doubt it, I know they reproduce there, and if they do not hibernate, they still have viable eggs. Just my thoughts on this, and it is just based on common sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980