• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Bin

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Any members still do this? I haven't seen renji all day yesterday and not even this morning, he's been eating less all week and slowing down, so i guess he must be getting ready to hibernate :(.

So who still uses this method? Any pointers when doing it this way?

Could i still use sand/soil ?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm interested in this too since mine are in the garage, its going to get a lot colder. Maybe too cold.. Probably too cold. The hybrid didn't come out yesterday and hes been sleeping the most ATM. Last night I caught Guru walking around a few hours after the lights went off..

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Yeah this would really be a big help, i read on another thread hay would work but wouldn't it mold? And should i still put a water dish in? I would keep my humidity around 50% and temps 65f, it would be much easier in the bin. And do i wait until he actually hibernates, dig him up then put him in the bin(plan to do this)?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know from experience that the hay will mold when exposed to high humidity, I'm planning on switching mines to cocofiberor coir(if I can find some) I plan to keep mines in bins for hibernation because I'll be staying with my grandparents for a few mos. During the winter and their enclosure going on storage, my grandpas sick and grandma say the lizards have to be in hibernation cause she is still scared of them, this is the same lady who use to hunt wild venemous snakes but scared of big Lizards

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
reptastic said:
I know from experience that the hay will mold when exposed to high humidity, I'm planning on switching mines to cocofiberor coir(if I can find some) I plan to keep mines in bins for hibernation because I'll be staying with my grandparents for a few mos. During the winter and their enclosure going on storage, my grandpas sick and grandma say the lizards have to be in hibernation cause she is still scared of them, this is the same lady who use to hunt wild venemous snakes but scared of big Lizards

Thank's, no hay then, Hope your grandpa gets we'll.

james.w said:
Strange, why do you want to put them in bins for hibernation?

Because it seems easier, i would move him into another room with no extra heat from cages. During the winter my room will be around 70-75f with the heat on and all the other lights i have on, so it will be harder to maintain a decent temperature for mines to hibernate in my room.

And i read quite a few times that 60-65f are the recommended temps for hibernation. 75f would be a little too hot and the metabolism wouldn't slow down. And i like to be on the safe side.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It just seems like more work and less option for them to do what they want. Mine hibernated in a room kept around 75 and was fine.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Oh okay, we'll the only real thing worrying me was the temps in my room. I read a lot of horror stories about hibernation going wrong and i'd like to avoid all those mistakes. So your saying 75f is safe temps for them to hibernate at? If so then i really don't need the bin then.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am just telling you my experience with hibernation. If you are more comfortable using the bin with lower temps, go for it. Hibernation is a stressful time for us keepers, so if it gives you piece of mind do it that way.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Yeah it is, i have been watching renji like a hawk, he's out more often now than last week. He spends most of the day rearranging his cage, he pretty much moves the fake plants all too the middle of the cage, leaves about 2" of dirt on the cool side and fills his water dish with dirt.

kellen.watkins

Hibernation bin seems kinda dangerous to me, wha if you put them away and they wake up? I grew up owning a black and white (who died last year at the age of 13) and I just killed the lights and she survived 9 years of hibernating at room temperature and the friend I gave her too when I joined the navy I'm pretty sure just left her in the tank at room temp

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I guess if you put it that way, but plenty members have successfully done the hibernation bin. And i'd be checking on him about every three days and providing fresh water constantly. That's why i want to be absolutely sure he's down for the winter until i go ahead with this idea. And if that's the case, i'll just put some pexie glass or mesh on the lid to be able to view inside.

But your right, bin idea seems like more work. My room gets a bit toasty with all my cages, i was just worried the heat would keep his metabolism up while sleeping. I read a lot of bad things about high temps like in the 75-80f range while hibernating. I should be able to maintain a 70-75f hopefully. if not i guess i'll give the bin a go.

Sorry for the loss of your tegu.

kellen.watkins

Its all good she lived a happy life, I gave her to a friend and when I got out my friend was so attached to her I couldn't take her back, and a bin does seem like kinda of a hassle

got10

Strange_Evil said:
I guess if you put it that way, but plenty members have successfully done the hibernation bin. And i'd be checking on him about every three days and providing fresh water constantly. That's why i want to be absolutely sure he's down for the winter until i go ahead with this idea. And if that's the case, i'll just put some pexie glass or mesh on the lid to be able to view inside.

But your right, bin idea seems like more work. My room gets a bit toasty with all my cages, i was just worried the heat would keep his metabolism up while sleeping. I read a lot of bad things about high temps like in the 75-80f range while hibernating. I should be able to maintain a 70-75f hopefully. if not i guess i'll give the bin a go.

Not sure where in NY you are but i keep feeding mine til the very end of Sept , make sure they poop very well and then turn the heat off to room temps. When i see them sleeping more and more I move them to a cool closet and let them sleep. I check on them once a week ( I have ten ). I hibernate them in the same room as my corns and hognoses
By october mid month all by guys are fast asleep and tucked away in their bins for the winter.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
got10 said:
Strange_Evil said:

Not sure where in NY you are but i keep feeding mine til the very end of Sept , make sure they poop very well and then turn the heat off to room temps. When i see them sleeping more and more I move them to a cool closet and let them sleep. I check on them once a week ( I have ten ). I hibernate them in the same room as my corns and hognoses
By october mid month all by guys are fast asleep and tucked away in their bins for the winter.

Thanks for the advice, and now i get your name lol. Mines wouldn't even be in my room if i used the bin, my closet is full of clothes. I was going to put him in the hall closet where it was much cooler and tons of space. But it's weird because now he's waking up at about 8am again and going down around 5pm and looking for food so i cave in and feed him. He ruins his cage,sleeps,eats,ruin the cage some more and then go down for the night.

new2tegus

Jekyll has been sleeping more and eating less too now. This is the second day he's burrowed in. Unfortunately for him, he ate the day before, and he hasn't gone to the bathroom yet,so I'm going to wake him up and make sure he goes, not going to let food rot in his stomach. So I'm pretty sure he's getting ready to bed down for the winter. The good news I have this cute little beardie now to occupy my time until the big guy gets back up again. I was hoping to get the other enclosure put together and up and running,but it may not happen,we will see. I miss him already, he's just slowing down and basking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980