• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Inquiry

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a fishroom that is kept at 80*F with high humidity (varies between 50~90%) year aroundÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

I built a Tegu cage in this room (4Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ x 2Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ x 2Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢)Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

My Tegu started spending fewer hours above groundÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ then didnÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t come out for 3~4 daysÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ I carefully dug her up only enough to confirm sheÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s alive (she was) and left her buried. She came out later that day for an hour or two. Since that day she has not been out at all (itÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s been almost 2 weeks).

My question isÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ can my Tegu get a true hibernation in this warm room? I planned on moving her cage into the house, but my fiancÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?© has recently gotten a dog which spoiled the place I planned to keep the Tegu cage.

It would be wonderful if I could keep her where she is, but I want to give her a full hibernation to keep the option of breeding available in the future. If absolute need be, I could make arrangements for her in the house (approx 70*F) or possibly even the attic (new house/unknown winter lows), but I would rather avoid this extra work of moving her unless it is necessary. I can only assume it will disturb her sleep to be relocated.

AlpineStar

5 Year Member
ok i might and might not be of any help but my reds are in my basement. the temp downstairs stay from 70-80-almost 90 throughout the day night drops off considerably from the thirty lights not being on. but my reds are under the mulch just sleeping away like its nobodies buissness. so technically mine are hibernating in warmer temp mid to high 70's and high to mid 60's at night. and they might come out for an hr or less a week, maybe get a drink and go right back down. and i have had mine for a few months now i think and i was told they were down in august. i dunno though hope it helped.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input Alpine...

I know they do not need to hibernate to survive, so healthwise I'm sure what I'm doing is fine...

But it seems like an accepted truth that Tegus, especially females, need to hibernate or they cannot breed in the future. At this time I don't plan on breeding them, but when I first started keeping fish I didn't intend on breeding them either, but now I have whole fishroom dedicated to breeding... So I want to keep that door open...

PS - Alpine... Someone on one of my fish forums has the same avatar that you have here... I rarely pay attention to avatars and such but I can't help but to stare at that one...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
FYI - She has been underground for right at a month now without being disturbed. There are no foul/odd odors from the tank so I can only assume she's still alive.

I'm hesitant to move the tank as I don't want to disturb her this far into her hibernation, but at the same time I'm not sure if her metabolism is going to be able to drop enough for this to be a successful hibernation. My concerns are not only that she may not be able to breed in the future, but I'm concerned her metabolism will stay too high and she will starve to death.

Any experienced input would be highly appreciated, as this is my first hibernating pet...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Toby_H said:
FYI - She has been underground for right at a month now without being disturbed. There are no foul/odd odors from the tank so I can only assume she's still alive.

I'm hesitant to move the tank as I don't want to disturb her this far into her hibernation, but at the same time I'm not sure if her metabolism is going to be able to drop enough for this to be a successful hibernation. My concerns are not only that she may not be able to breed in the future, but I'm concerned her metabolism will stay too high and she will starve to death.

Any experienced input would be highly appreciated, as this is my first hibernating pet...

Well if that is the case I am in trouble, it has been very warm here and all of mine have been hibernating for months. It has been a very warm winter so far, but I do not worry much. Some of my tegus start hibernating in September, the temps here still reach 90s during the day, but they still sleep. I do not think it has too much to do with it, tegus are going to sleep regarless of the temps outside here. I will see one every now or then on a warm day, but they go right back to hibernating.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our big Red has been down for almost 3 months (70 degree basement) and we haven't seen him at all in the last 3 weeks. After 2 months of semi-hibernation he was still as big as ever. He's under a sheet of plywood, maybe we'll look at him this weekend, but I'm sure he's fine.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know no guarantees can be made... but like I said, since this is my first hibernating pet and this is my first year of hibernation with her, I'm a bit concerned to make sure I offer suitable conditions.

Having both of you guys not seem concerend and having similar experiences, I'm very relieved.

Thanks for the input guys...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980