• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation low temp

Don15681

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new too this site. read many of the posts with very good info, thank you. my question is I have an argentine b&w hatch this year and want to put into full hibernation. In my snake room right now, temps are between 75 and 77. My basement temps goes down to 50 degrees. I am using repti-bark in the enclosure. Is this a safe temp when the B&W can't dig very deep? What is consider too cold for above ground hibernating? Also should I lower the temps slow from my snake room to the basement temps?

Thanks Don

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My bedroom doesn't drop below 70 degrees or rise above 80 degrees during the winter and my tegu has been down for months. From what I undestand, tegus pretty much do their own thing. Sometimes they'll go into a full hibernation, sometimes partial and sometimes seemingly no hibernation at all. I'd worry more about your substrate and depth than trying to induce hibernation. Have you tried cypress mulch? They love it and your tegu being able to dig down might calm him into sleeping a bit more this winter.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our big male Red has been down for most of the last 3 months in our 70 degree basement. I think they do what they want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980