• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hibernation questions

Mommyof2boys

I just recently got a tegu from a couple who is expecting and couldn't afford her anymore.. he told me she is around a year old and has been sleeping since september (and wanted her to hibernate so he could breed her) he said he just got her in september and the person before said she was hibernating too but he didn't tell us how long she previously was.... she was kept in a outdoor cage the whole time if that helps.

We brought her home and have put her inside with heat lights, ect. what i'm wondering is how much longer will she sleep? is there a way to get her up and at 'em since she's now indoors?

should i keep her heat light on or just leave it off?

any other helpful tips would be awesome! I'm new to the whole Tegu thing.. a friend of mine has one and she was really cool so i decided to get one.. i've done my best to research & have everything ready for when she gets bigger but i am lost in the whole hibernation thing. Thanks!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First off, welcome to the TeguTalk community! Hopefully you find your home here. Congrats on the new addition to your family! :tegu: :)
I would guess that your new tegu will probably not sleep for very much longer. I would try the natural way to get her up and at 'em - as you put it. Set her lights and heating on a timer and let them run a normal day/night cycle. This should spur her to get up and moving. In the meantime, do you think we could see some photos of her and her enclosure? We love photos!! ;) :)

Mommyof2boys

Right now she's just in a 75 gal tank while we finish her outdoor enclosure.. the tank is nothing fancy by any means lol Here she is though :) So should I take her hide sac out so she can be out in the open to wake up?

Attachments

• DSCN9945.JPG
    DSCN9945.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN9946.JPG
    DSCN9946.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 67

Mootworm

Hi there! I went through pretty much the same thing. I got my girl and she hibernated for about a month, during which I kept the lights on a standard schedule. She just woke up at the beginning of this month :) But I live in the desert, so spring comes early for me. I wouldn't disturb her, just keep her water fresh and she should come out soon.

Mommyof2boys

thanks :) she ended up coming out for some food & went back to sleep. this morning she was up & we had a hour cuddle (slept on my tummy with my hoody on her) she watched me for a bit, sniffed me & she went back to bed lol

Kody

I got a red tegu back in september of last year and ever since i've had him/her it's been brumating and still continues. I've tried waking it up it stays up for a little while and has energy it's quick but then he goes right back to sleep and won't eat he's not skinny or anything but i'm just wondering what to do to get him to finally wake up. i have a him in a 40 gallon because it's a baby and i have a 150 watt basking bulb on there with 2 sets of uvb lights and i spray the cage fairly often but yeah i just can't seem to keep him awake and get him to feed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980