• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Temp!

i0r

5 Year Member
I know there's many threads about hibernation. Though it's such a sensible and particular subject that i won't take the risk of something happening with my Juancha. So with all due respect here's another post with hibernaiton questions :D

Ok so it's starting to get cold down here now, and Juancha is showing signs of inactivity and is possibly starting the process of hibernation. The other day for example she slept all day, buried in the mulch below her house.

Thinking that B/W lives just around here in the wild i thought at first that maybe winter climate wouldn't be a problem for her. Thing is that min temp here can drop to 25 - 30 sometimes during the night.
I have no doubt that the wild ones can handle that...but the thing is that juancha doesnt have a "proper" burrow below ground.
It can get cold in her actual enclosure....i'm guessing around 40 inside during the night if i close it up. The thing is....would it be safe for her?? Should i install a halogen heat rig just in case?? That way the temp would be about 50 - 60.

What do you think guys??

angelrose

5 Year Member
Hi i0r, I maintain a temp of 65F when they hibernate. Juancha is lucky lady to have you taking good care of her. I would install something safe in her nice big home.

i0r

5 Year Member
Thanks Angelrose. Youre too sweet :D Just trying to acomodate her as best as i can. Also told my friends to keep an eye open for mistreated tegus....so we'll see with how many i end up :lol:

Will install a heating system for her then. And if i'm right i've read that temp changes can effect them in a bad way, right? If so should i leave the heat on 24hrs a day? Or can i turn it off if sunny during the day??

jose2187

5 Year Member
I would use a ceramic heat emitter so that she can have some day and night cycling without losing the proper heat. you should still offer the tegu water and basking for about 2 weeks because they need to clear the digestive track and also the may come out a couple of times. once she is settled and no longer coming out then she can take some lower temps.
Buenos aires, soy de chile osea realmente de california pero estuve en chile por 10 anos y pase todos los veranos en argentina

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your temps are fine from 50-70F. My tegus all hibernate at 53-57 in winter two feet underground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602