• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Tips?

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Okay so my tegu is a about to hibernate(brumate) and I was wondering is there anything I need to know before he goes under. I've heard tegus can go days underground and then suddenly come up to bask. So when should I leave his light out for good? I know I have to let him poop before he goes under but he hasn't eatin in days so I don't think that's a problem. Shouls I justy let the parameters "go" when he hibernates? Any other suggestions? I am really nervous I want everything to go smoothly.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Why don't you just leave the lights on timers and let them cycle like normal? Also keep misting on routine too...

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I dont know lol. I have been reducing his lighting and it helps keep the humidity up. Plus it saves electricity.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I have the lights off for two off my Tegus because they are hibernating.One comes out after a fews days so I turn the ligts on when I see her ( I check on her every day to see if she is out ) and when she goes back to sleep I turn them back off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029