• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

His Tail keeps breaking?

NDreptile

5 Year Member
So this is the second time now. I have a red that is about six months old now. His tail has bent off twice now about the last 1/4 inch or so not much more but I am trying to figure out why. I won't see anything wrong then the next day i have gone to take him out of his cage and he well have it bent over and a couple days later it will break off. Any ideas as to why. I was wondering if it could be happening from tail whipping (it is never extreme but just a small amount if he doesnt want to come out of his cage) or if i am not seeing him completly shed on his tail... it is a completly black tip and always seems to be dark.

NDreptile

5 Year Member
It happened over the weekend and i didn't take pics sorry, Next time something happens that i don't understand or want help with i will try to grab the camera first thing:)

COWHER

5 Year Member
well it would help us to actually see the issue instead of being forced to ask a million questions to help. hmmm My tegu has tail whipped the wall pretty hard in the past and his tail is fine. ???? maybe its stuck shed? I don't know for sure because I never had this issue.. :imso

erk

5 Year Member
NDreptile,

What is your setup like? What kind of uv light, enclosure size and temps, diet, vitamins, and the like? If you post that info, I'm sure that one of the more experienced keepers can help you out.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
if its dark it could be necrotic. if its an old shed check next time and put calendula emulsion on the shed that gets stuck on the old wound.
calendula is made from the calendula flower and sold here at the pharmacie. i always have good results when a shed got stuck somewhere.

COWHER

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
if its dark it could be necrotic. if its an old shed check next time and put calendula emulsion on the shed that gets stuck on the old wound.
calendula is made from the calendula flower and sold here at the pharmacie. i always have good results when a shed got stuck somewhere.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.florahealth.com/NR/rdonlyres/C1D54BAA-C874-4278-ABA7-1990208FFBC3/2781/Flax1.jpg">http://www.florahealth.com/NR/rdonlyres ... /Flax1.jpg</a><!-- m -->

snakehandler

5 Year Member
its not the same i use but it could work the same way. old shed always comes off within an hour. it can also heal small wounds.

COWHER

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
can you get that Flax/Calendula here :?:[/quote

i think so... look at health food stores and vitamin shops and places like that.. I found it here in Massachusetts...

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
COWHER why all the quotes around my name and question
that's not your ususal
are you making fun
He was trying to quote you like this, but the ending ] got cut out so it didn't show up correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980