• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hiya All!

i0r

5 Year Member
Hey all! My name is Chris and i've got a 1 1/2 - 2 year old b/w argentine called Juancha. She's not captive born. I live in Argentina and a friend of mine found her pretty messed up, probably by a dog. She lost a piece of her upper lip(jaws intact though), she had a big wound on her left side of the belly and also a broken/lost toe that is still kept on by a string of skin. I've had her for some 3 months now, nursed her and trained her to become a healthy and happy big lizard again. She's practically dog tame now. But it was a long process though. Took me about 1 month to cure her and make her tolerate me. From then on it's just been sweet ride. Now she's so tame that she use to bask on top of my stomach if i wear i black shirt.

Anyway...i'm currently active on another tegu forum as well...some of you may know about me and the story about Juancha....like you gebris(Fabi).

I've have heard nothing but good things about Varnyard. I've used a lot of his taming techniques and other tips about general care. And that's why i decided to sign up on here. Being on this forum will allow me to get advice of how to care for Juancha in the best way possible.
So any doubt or question i might have, i hope you guys can help me out, and i'll try to do the same :D

Chris

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the Tegutalk! its so good to hear about people taking good care of their tegus! You should post some pics!

i0r

5 Year Member
^^as requested :p
juancho%20solar.JPG

enclosure005.JPG

Walking%20Juancho.JPG

Juancha%20%20basking2.JPG

Juancha%20%20basking.JPG

Juancha%20%20tongue.JPG

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh man he is awesome! love the pic of you 2 sunbathin together! How long did it take you to tame him down?

ZEKE

5 Year Member
nice pics! what is the second picture of? he is a good looking tegu even tho he is a bit scared up. he is lucky to have you as a owner.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
nice pics! what is the second picture of? he is a good looking tegu even tho he is a bit scared up. he is lucky to have you as a owner.
Zeke i think that would be the Tegu's house.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Hi i0r, welcome to tegutalk 8) I did read about Juancha :-D

and bless you for taking good care of her, God knows she has been thru enough.
the pics are beautiful and looks like she has a nice, safe home.

I am wishing Juancha the best of health.

i0r

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for the warm welcome :D

Lexi: It took about 1 month to get her trust...as far as tame...she's not there at 100%. A good 87% though :p

Zeke: Yeah as lexi said...that's her house. It's my late german shepherd's pen. But since he passed away 2 years ago i thought she could have it.

Leoares: To tell you the truth you never see a wild tegu around here with it's entire tail. Too many stray dogs running wild. So i'm more than happy if i can at least protect 1 of them......and may there be future more ;)

Angelrose: Nice to see you here as well :D Thank you for your kind words. I've always loved reptiles and hated the haters...so she totally deserves a peaceful place to live. And i notice in her that she also recognizes that she's in a better and much more safe place now.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome!!! Awesome job! I am very happy for both of you. I think you will find alot of good people around here who are willing to help. I like your avatar picture...did you make that yourself?

2004014538283941353_rs.jpg

i0r

5 Year Member
Yes the avatar was made with a picture i found of a tegu skull....mixed with a little good ole photoshop :p

As far as members from argentina.....we are few. It's legal to sell millions of tegu skins each year, but not to buy or keep them as pets. However i don't give a $#*&Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¤!. As far as i see it, i'm protecting the Argentinian fauna ;). Something that the gov don't care about.

dorton

5 Year Member
You can't keep them as pets?/?!?!?!?!? Why ?
Thats crazy. I'm glad you decided to go against the grain.
Thumbs up to you!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with Dorton, it sounds crazy, you can kill them, but you cannot keep them alive. That nutx!!

i0r

5 Year Member
Yeah, believe it or not both tupinambis merianae and rufescens are considered endangered species.....this meaning....there simply isn't enough for them to hunt. So leave all tegus alone in the nature. Don't take them away from the hunters.

Sh***y politics tbh, but what can you do :(

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey, I hear that Argentina may be shutting down the exportation of tegus in the near future. Have you heard anything about this?

i0r

5 Year Member
Sorry to let you down DZLife but that's not true at all. As mentioned tup merianae and rufecsens are now protected species.....the reason??

Well here's a translated part of the Govt "Project Tupinambis"

The conservation of the specie is fundamental. Not only from a biologically point of view of what it would mean to save the specie from extinction, but for it's economical importance to some regions of the country, since hunting it provides an additional income by selling the skins. It's meat also forms an important part to some of the people who consider it as a rich protein source

If you know spanish here's the original page
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ambiente.gov.ar/?idarticulo=3380">http://www.ambiente.gov.ar/?idarticulo=3380</a><!-- m -->

They say they will limit the exportation's of tegu skins.....but they won't say to how many/year. However.....i know they won't limit a darn thing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980