• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hola Folks!!

jim_m

5 Year Member
Hola everyone, Im an up and coming Tegu owner :mrgreen: My name is Jim Martinez, 29

I am and have been studying about the care and housing of tegus for the past 2 months. I have come to realize that these forums are the most informative i have found.

Now I have never had a reptile before ( many dogs, fish, turtles, and rabbits ). So i want to get as familiar as I can before actually buying one. I want my Tegu to be happy and healthy. Maybe I shouldn't be getting a Tegu as a first reptile pet and im sure there are many other choices out there but hell these "little" guys look so cuddly.

Anyhow, you guys are great and doing a great job. I have gotten many great ideas. Thxs for all your help.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome!!

Have you seen a Tegu yet?? The cute cuddly lizard becomes a large hungry lizard in a year or so. Be sure you're ready to invest the time and space to built a large enclosure to house it. Many of them hibernate for 6-8 months out of the year, so you may not see your pet for a long time. But I'm sure you've already read about that in the past 2 months.

When are you planning on getting one? This is the end of the season, Bobby (Varnyard) only has 1 red & 4 extremes left. There are probably a few of his still floating around, you could ask him who might still have some. Or you can wait until next year.

Good luck with finding a nice one and don't forget to post some pics!!!

jim_m

5 Year Member
Yeah I have seen a few Tegus actually. A local pet shop has 2 very large adult Tegus in there shop. What sold me was their calm disposition. My son ( who's 4 ) was able to sit next to it and play with it as if it were a dog.
As far as the housing, I am already in the works planning an outdoor enclosure. Im thinking i want to go 10x10. But I'm still working out the details. Figure if i can get the big stuff done now and when i do get my tegu, he will be set.
Hmmm, end of the season you say? When does the season begin and when is the best time to get a tegu?If i have to wait till next year so be it. I am determined to get one, but only when i know I'm ready and he'll have a great home.

Zilch

5 Year Member
If you were looking into finding a varnyard... at least a red, there's a place somewhat local to me called Ben Siegel reptiles. They do ship and they have 3 Varnyard red babies going for $200 a piece, I saw them 2 days ago and their colors are amazing.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you joined us.

I do have one red left, and a few of the Extreme giants, I will let my members have the male for 200. shipped or giants for 300. shipped, just let me know.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jim_m said:
Yeah I have seen a few Tegus actually. A local pet shop has 2 very large adult Tegus in there shop. What sold me was their calm disposition. My son ( who's 4 ) was able to sit next to it and play with it as if it were a dog.
As far as the housing, I am already in the works planning an outdoor enclosure. Im thinking i want to go 10x10. But I'm still working out the details. Figure if i can get the big stuff done now and when i do get my tegu, he will be set.
That's great that you've seen a big one and know somewhat to expect. They all aren't that tame, you have to work with them. But it's worth it! Ours don't sit still, they like to explore.

OHH!! Outdoor enclosure! That's great!!!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey, looks like your on the right track to providing a great home for a teg! Welcome, to the forums. Psssss go with an Extreme! :p

jim_m

5 Year Member
LOL why? Is Extreme the tamest of the bunch? Or the largest? The only one i have seen first hand was a Argentine B&W and i was very impressed....BUT i would like to hear the case for the Extreme since it seems to be popular. :mrgreen:

jim_m

5 Year Member
But are they kid friendly? I have a 2yr old and 4 yr old ( boys ). They are going to interact with these reptiles as much as myself, and maybe to take to their school for some educational learning stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.