• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Home for my soon to arrive buddy

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
This is a quick setup for my friend arriving tuesday. It is a 160watt trex uvb bulb above it. Criticism is appreciated. Want him to be as happy as possible.

xfri45.jpg

242vgr8.jpg

35na5j7.jpg

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Looks pretty good, have to say the plastic scares me a bit, lol, but I'm sure you'll be careful to not let it get too hot and melt.

...Jefroka

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
thanks, and yeah i tested it for an hour to make sure it held. but it's only temporary. once he gets to about 18 inches i'm going to build his full size cage.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
mikecrowder23 said:
thanks, and yeah i tested it for an hour to make sure it held. but it's only temporary. once he gets to about 18 inches i'm going to build his full size cage.

My suggestion is to make an intermediate enclosure before the "big" cage. Trust me on this, I have an 8' long 35 and 1/2" wide 3' tall gigantic cage in my house now and my tegu is 14 and 1/2" long now.

My feeder enclosure is 4' long and 2' wide, thinking of building something about this size for his next enclosure, have him in a 20L aquarium now.

The big cage is just wayyyyyyyy too large to bond with a small tegu. It will be a while before I even think of housing him in this thing, albeit the little guy is growing before my eyes.

...Jefroka

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
Thanks, i took a 10 dollar rubbermaid tub and cut the top out and screwed in a 16 gauge screen with a 1.5 inch overhang under the lid. the rest is half a 3 dollar bag of cypress mulch, one of those half hollowed log hides, some little water bowl and flat rock i found out back. How is it that i wouldn't be able to bond with him in a larger container. I don't understand how that makes a difference.

Richard21

5 Year Member
That sounds pretty cheap! I bought a 20 gallon when i could have done what you did haha. How did you cut the top?

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
yeah it was really cheap, i figured there was no sense in spending alot of money now when i was about to be spending over 150 building the other cage in a couple months, but i just to a 3 foot level and used it as a guide for my razor. one or two cuts and it comes out pretty easy, just be careful cutting the wire that stuff is sharp. all i had was a pair of dikes so it took me a little while.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
mikecrowder23 said:
Thanks, i took a 10 dollar rubbermaid tub and cut the top out and screwed in a 16 gauge screen with a 1.5 inch overhang under the lid. the rest is half a 3 dollar bag of cypress mulch, one of those half hollowed log hides, some little water bowl and flat rock i found out back. How is it that i wouldn't be able to bond with him in a larger container. I don't understand how that makes a difference.

The smaller the enclosure, the easier it is to get your hands on your tegu, hence its easier to interact with him in the smaller enclosure.

When he gets bigger, its easier to get a hand on him cause he's bigger.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980