• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

House broken? (bathroom training)

Tugboat

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I just recently got my first tegu last month. I've heard that they are intelligent enough to be trained to deficate and urinate on newspapers or outside. Is this true?

The main reason I ask is that I like to let my tegu walk around my apartment bedroom but there's always the risk of it going on the carpet (and it has). I've only owned cats and snakes growing up so I've never had to train an animal that and wouldn't have the slightest clue with a tegu.

The breeder told me my tegu was hatched November 2007 but I seriously have my doubts on that as I've seen pictures of tegus are 6-8 months old and they were bigger than him. As well he's still got a little light green on his underbelly. I'll get some pictures soon enough.

Any insight/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
They can be trained with time and patience. You just have to work with them.

Pics would be great! Who did you buy your tegu from?

Tugboat

5 Year Member
I got him/her at the reptile expo they have at the State Fairgrounds in Tampa, FL two times a year.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gilaproductions.com/tpa/tpamain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gilaproductions.com/tpa/tpamain.html</a><!-- m -->

it's a pretty nice venue, I bought my last kingsnake from there a year ago.

and yeah I def need to get pictures cause this lizard's growin' FAST. I'll steal my old man's digi cam soon enough

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980