• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How did you get started?

juggernaut

Question is how did you get started with reptiles?
I got started with reptiles when I was about 8 years old with my 1st anole. After that I got a bearded dragon a year later he died. Then was my red tegu still have her and love her. After that u got into the snakes. And now I want more tegus. Haha.
So how did you get started with reptiles? :chin

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i got started when i was like 10, funny story actually; i had really wanted one of the baby iguanas i had seen in a local petshop, but i couldnt afford one, so i would visit the petshop daily after school(it was about 2 blocks away) so after leaving i was walking home and low and behold i found $31, i still didnt get my iguana until 4 years later but i did get a green anole, and got him a nice lil setup. he lived for about 8 mos., at first i kept pets like birds, hamsters, ferrets ect. but after a while i slowly creeped in to reptiles and before i knew it i was solely keeping reptiles.

Pikey

5 Year Member
i was 4, my arents were building their house, and of course my mom had tilled a large garden (like 30x60ft) the fall before. She tarped it for the winter and spring so as they were building mom untarped the garden & low and behold SNAKES. That day i caught Buckets i mean 2 - 5gal buckets full of snakes (garder, milk, rat, smooth green, collard, a few water snakes), but that was also the day i found the hornets next under the tarps that i picked & thought it was a Huge Spider Egg..... Boy was i WAY off on that one

G

I was not allowed to get any reptiles when I was a kid. My parents have always been about "keeping up appearence" :crazy so I was only allowed to get normal pets. I grew up with dog, cat, birds, rabbit and a guinea pig. I did bring home various things, but I was never allowed to keep any. They were too creepy or weird for the rest of the family :hifit

I have however always loved reptiles and I have read all I could find, plus I have always watched everything on TV about them.

When my mom moved away from home, I was too busy working, going to school and my ex did not like reptiles. When I threw him out, I figured it was now or never and bought my first reptile. Being a single mom of two I chose a bearded dragon because of their "child friendliness". One Beardie then became three, then another species and another and another...

isdrake

5 Year Member
I have always been into dragons and dinosaurs so it was only natural that I would start with reptiles eventually. But compared to everyone else I got started very late.

I did want a green Iguana then I was around 10. But I (luckily) didn't get one. The only pet I was allowed to keep (other then the family dog) was one bunny.

Then I finally moved away from my parents and moved in with my boyfriend we didn't have any space for pets.

I was at age 22 then I took care of my first reptiles, two leopardgeckos. (and first pets since I moved away from my parents). It wasn't intended. They belonged to my boyfriends little brother but their mother past away and he was to small to take care of them so they had nowhere to go.

Turns out that leopard geckos as boring as hell. A few months later we bought a bearded dragon because I wanted something more interesting. And a year after that we got our Tegu.

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
Well I have always been involved in animals most of my life I first had a small wolf spider, then a huntsman spider, a centipede, praying mantis, then I caught a four lined racer, that never grew till i released it. then had caught a small garden snake. This was all in Nassau Bahamas. I also wrote a documentary on Brown anoles and can answer anything on them and tell sex right out of the egg.. I then lived in Denver and My first snake that a friend of mine helped me setup the tank was a bull snake we found in a junkyard. He was 18 inches and I raised him to 4 feet and he died....left in car. I tried finding a snake to replace him, but who ever said reptiles dont have personality. No same species snake could replace my Donnie. I also had a garter snake and from here thats where the reptiles took off.i had 2 gopher snakes, a albino gopher snake, then got amphibians...tiger salamanders newts, fire belly toads, cane toads, pixie frog, amphiuma, also had boring leopards geckos, chiapas giant musk turtle, side neck turtle and just caught a common snapping turtle a foot long shell. Blue tongue skinks and a sneiders skink which the stars of this forum ate. Now I have tegus my first girl that is just reaching over 3 feet and my Chacoan giant who is just peaking over 2 feet. Later peoples

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029