• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How do I feed her?

Violca

5 Year Member
Hi there,
My tegu is about 3 years old now, healthy as anything, got her as a baby, and she has never hibernated the past couple winters i've had her. Well, this year, i think she's trying to. She has been sleeping for days to a week straight and only every now and again will she emerge to bask a little, but will act hungry and look for food when she does. I will feed her when I see her, but only smaller amounts than normal.
My question is, how should I be feeding her at this time? I ask this because the only other time I have had a hibernating lizard has been bearded dragons, and with mine he would be completely asleep for all the winter months and they say not to feed them at all, make sure their gut and bowels are empty, and just wait for them to wake up. I dont want to be feeding her if it will be bad for her (ie, if she eats and then goes to sleep for a week and doesnt actually bask to digest it). Can I just keep feeding her when I see her and not worry about anything when she is sleeping? I have never disturbed her, if shes asleep I leave her be. Or should I just completely withhold food even if she emerges for a day and wants food? Thanks for any help!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To put it simply; when my tegus would slow down or sleep for prolonged amounts of time, I would reduce the light cycle to mimic hibernation months, and cut out feeding. Others may chime into this and give their opinion, but this worked for me and the tegus would stay sleeping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980