• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How do I monitor my tegu's weight?

JasonW

5 Year Member
I have a male tegu that is about 30 inches long, when i feed him he eats like a maniac for two or three days and then refuses to eat for two to three days after that. I was just wondering how I can tell if he is too fat or too thin just by looking at him if it is possible? And is his irregular eating a problem or not?
My second issue comes down to conflict. I read on your page that you should feed a tegu out of his cage but my little guy is very shy and makes tracks straight to his hide if I open his enclosure, I also read that I should never disturb him while he is in his hide. Now which rule is more important because at the moment im a bit stuck?
Sorry to bother you guys with stupid questions but I havnt got any other resourses.
Any help would be great.

Gx3

5 Year Member
I haven't dealt with tegus (as I am still waiting for mine) but I have had this issue with other herps. I HIGHLY recommend not feeding him in his cage if you ever plan on taming your tegu, because it is guaranteed he will become cage aggressive. How long have you owned the tegu? Let him feel comfortable in his cage, he should be coming out to bask during the day, so I would let him soak in some sun for a bit then slowly scoop him up. I don't think the food issue would be an immediate problem, but you might want to wait for someone more experienced to answer that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.