• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how do you send a reptile in the mail

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There was also a really good thread on Sammy's site that dealt with all the legalities involved and with what shipping companies.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thereptilerack.com/general-reptile-f81/topic219.html">http://www.thereptilerack.com/general-r ... ic219.html</a><!-- m -->

Shrap said:
Fed-Ex: You need a special permit to ship any reptile or amphimbian. It is basically just getting a normal account, which you can do online. Then contacting your account rep and going through the procedures to get a reptile waiver. It takes a couple weeks but dont cost you anything except the prices of a test box.

UPS: Accepted Live Animals (no permit needed for the following):

* Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
* Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
* Fish (All)
* Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
* Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
* Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
* Worms (All)

UPS: Prohibited Live Animals (only with permit and they aint giving you one unless you ship 100's of packages a year. And even then they may deny you.):

* Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
* Any Threatened or Endangered species
* Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
* Birds (All)
* Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
* Mammals (All)
* Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
* Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

United States Postal Service:

They do not accept any snakes. And only other reptiles/amphibs under 20".

Do not ship via the Post Office. They do not offer guaranteed overnight shipping, early morning delivery, real time tracking, etc. They have the highest death rate of any of the options out there.

Delta Cargo: Yes, as in the airline Delta. They ship anything. This option is most expensive, but also the safest. You drop off at the closest airport Delta flies to, your customer picks up at the closest airport near them that Delta flies to. This is a great service for anyone living in major metropolitan areas.

You do need an account with Delta to ship with them. They will come and inspect your place of business if you are a business, or your home if you are a home based breeder. They process is fast and painless. They come, they see lots of snakes, they are happy, they leave. They just want to make sure you are shipping what you say you are. After 9/11 they cant allow just any yahoo to send packages on their passenger plains.

Even more involve if you link to it.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can ship lizards via USPS, I do not recommend the post office, but it is 100% legal to ship lizards through them. However, you cannot ship snakes or turtles through the post office. They charge 17.00 overnight express mail.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks guys, I was wondering about the legalities of this matter. I have been looking into whether or not the seller of my tegu is BS'ing me about not being able to ship her because his shipping license expired, and that he is waiting on it to be renewed.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
Thanks guys, I was wondering about the legalities of this matter. I have been looking into whether or not the seller of my tegu is BS'ing me about not being able to ship her because his shipping license expired, and that he is waiting on it to be renewed.

Shipping license? Thats a new one on me, I do know that you must have a shipping waiver and account, but not a shipping license.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
meh. Maybe he said permit...I thought he said license, but I'm not sure. Either way, he still hasn't sent the tegu.
I'm starting to have second thoughts...I should have just ordered a baby from Bobby.

Hey Bobby, when will you next have babies available---or any tegu for that matter?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan