• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How much are yours eating

Keith_w

5 Year Member
I got my guy in august and he eats about 5 peach fuzzies each time i feed him. i was just wondering how much everyone else who got a tegu this year is feeding there'?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I give mine rodents once or twice a week but I feed them everyday when they are active. Also try ground turkey, insects, fish, liver and cooked egg.

burke0000

5 Year Member
Ya im kinda worried about my guy. I got an extreme on July 15 I think. He doesnt eat much at all. I finally got him to eat two pinkies in one session the other day. He also hasnt really grown at all either. I saw some pics of someone one the forum with a reg blk and white, I think it is the petunia one and it looks double the size of mine.

dave

5 Year Member
burke,
are u using a good uvb? What are your basking temps? Is there anything that can be stressing him at all? If ur confident in your husbandry, you could try a little royal jelly to stimulate hi app.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
so far this week, Zevi has preferred the monitor diet (which is all the right proteins in a pellet the size of a large cricket). I'm not sure if he's eating enough for his size. 4 pellets a day is all he takes.

I'm going to offer just pinks today. If that doesn't do, it will be scrambled eggs and raw ground turkey (dusted). Kid needs his calcium. Might try a little fresh fruit; berries or grapes. Basically figure out what he's interested in, other than the monitor food.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My B&W Arg eats a chunk of food a little smaller than the size of her head... most days of the week...

I offer food (almost) every day and one or two days a week she nibbles but doesn't eat much...

I vary food between: live fish, pinkies & ground turkey... and she prefers them in that order...

She has grown nicely (from 9" to [approx] 15" since I got her from Bobby in July?) and is always plump. She lives in a 4'x2'x2' cage, goes swimming in fish tanks once or twice a week and spends an efternoon in the sun about twice a month.

Gx3

5 Year Member
My red that I got from Bobby is doing great. He is about 3 months old and a little over 17 inches long. He eats a fuzzy and some turkey 2-3 days a week, or he eats a portion (about 1.5 times the size of his head) of ground turkey or chicken, liver, salmon, tallapia, or another meat. I also give him cod liver oil twice a week. He is growing insanely fast and is just starting his 4th shed. He has a great personality and loves to be taken out. He is kept in a 6'x2' enclosure heated by a 160W Powersun during the day (for 12.5 hrs) and a ceramic heater at night. He is getting less active recently and is only awake for about 4.5 hrs a day. I'll try and get some pics up when he gets done shedding.

burke0000

5 Year Member
Ya like I said before my tegu hardly eats anything. One pink each time, once he ate two. He doesnt eat much boiled eggs,or ground turkey. It doesnt look like hes grown much either. He also hates and I havent gotten to hold him yet. So Ive decided not to really mess with him till after hibernation, which he hasnt started yet, maybe cuz hes not grown enough?

jor71

5 Year Member
Mine chows down 5 fuzzies and also loves to eat liver, chicken gizzards, ground turkey with some mangos and zucchini.

He is 23 inches and approx. 3 months old. It is kind of a bummer that he has slowed down the past few weeks and is out only about 3 - 4 hours a day.

I'll post some new pics of him later.

burke0000

5 Year Member
jor71 said:
Mine chows down 5 fuzzies and also loves to eat liver, chicken gizzards, ground turkey with some mangos and zucchini.

He is 23 inches and approx. 3 months old. It is kind of a bummer that he has slowed down the past few weeks and is out only about 3 - 4 hours a day.

I'll post some new pics of him later.

Wow yours eat five times as much as mine. Mine is also an extreme giant. I think hes only about 13 inches and hatched jun 28 I believe. I reallly dont understand what wrong with mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me