• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How much does your tegu eat and how often?

Abigail Buice

I'm looking for weights of meats and proteins please! I'm thinking about getting a tegu and I am trying to figure out a routine and price point before I buy one! Thank you!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi abigail. Will need to know how old/ big the lizard is= growing is more food than adult. Also, if it hibernates, that's a few months off from food.

thatoneguy

Mine is about 4 months, and can last a week or 2 with 2lbs of chicken hearts which cost like 2 bucks. 1lb of ground turkey usually last about a week, and I usually throw in some scrambled eggs too.

I don't feed crickets anymore but in the first 2 months was eating like 50 large crickets a week. Plus the chicken hearts or turkey.

I really don't know if my tegus eats as much as others or not, and some days he eats a lot more then other days.

Tigger

Mine eats like every other day, she's lil over 2 ft. N it's not ver costly for the food.. Hard boiled eggs, ground turkey( I put in med size meatballs), n freeze. N once a week give her that. The meat will last a while, a bunch of dif fruit. ( n u can do the same put in portion sizes n freeze). Mine does not eat fruit for some reason.. N I've tried a bunch of dif stuff.. Every 2/3 weeks a mouse ( after that she dnt eat for 2/3 days) they fill her..

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine eat f/t mice say 40%, and some organ meat, occasional raw chicken strips/tenders, wet high quality dog food also 40% and some misc. fruit. But then nothing as the dragons sleep through winter in the basement at about 58-62f.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.