• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How much time with new baby gu?

Teguzilla

5 Year Member
I'm getting my first black and white next month and I had a small question. I've been reading on different taming topics but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. I'm guessing the baby gu will probably be quite terrified when I bring it home so I'll let him be for awhile. My question is how soon should I start handling the baby gu after I bring it home and how often each and for how long at a time as well? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to stress it out from handling it too much too soon. I've heard a few people tell me work with it about a half an hour each day and is it becomes tamer, you can increase the time?

RickyNo

Immediately. Never force hold your tegu. And I would never let him free roam at that age either, they can get into places you never thought were even in existence. I waited till Loki was about 5 pounds and I was completely sure he could not find his way into anything I couldnt easily grab him out of before letting him free roam. I think whats best for you is to take him into the bathroom with you. Sit down in the tub and just let him crawl all over you, let him get used to your smell. I spent a lot of time in my bathroom lol. I usually would spend about an hour with him a day or every other day for those first few months. You want him to be able to roam outside of the cage as well to a certain extent. So once he was a bit more familiar with me I then started sitting on the floor in the bathroom with a nice cushion. My bathroom isnt big at all so he then had time to free roam but still be near me the entire time. I would just sit there and read for half hour/hour and then put him back in his cage. Also start putting a piece of clothing that you worn for a day w/o any scents other than your own on it inside his hide, either take an undershirt or put a small cloth in your belt line sticking on your skin for a day so he'll know your scent quicker. Good luck.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great advice from @RickyNo
I'm not a fan of the word 'tame' personally. What you're doing is making him more used to humans, human touch, human smell. You won't tame him or break him like you would a horse. Just be patient with him and increase the time as he is receptive to it. You will know when he's had enough and needs to go back to his enclosure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus