• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How should I feed him?

Aragorn

So im still really new to this whole owning a tegu thing. Ours hasnt eaten in a while. He is still pretty young but I'm thinking about feeding him a mouse. Should I get a frozen mouse and just thaw him out (and if so how should I thaw it?) or should I get a live one. Also should I feed him in his own cage? Our tegu is still pretty angry and wont let us hold him. So if I should feed him in a seperate container, how do I get him there? Any help would be AWESOME!!

TheTeguGurl

If you are going to feed it a mouse i would get a frozen one, then just put it in a bowl of warm water till it is thawed..If there is away for you to get him out, feeding him in another tub is the best thing for them. Feeding in a cage can cause food aggressive . You can try and wear glove to scope him up and put him another tub to eat! You never want to feed live the mouse or rat can injure your Tegu

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can try an appropriate sized F/T mouse, hopper or what ever for your tegu. They can go for long periods of time with out eating so depending on the size of your tegu and his fat reserves,.. don't stress that too much.

It just takes time,.. they won't starve themselves.

Aragorn

Rockin thank you guys, also another question, I know alot of people just let there tegus walk around their house. Ours still pretty small and might get under the coach or other stuff. Would it be a bad idea just to let him wonder around and just assume that he'll come back to his cage to go to the basking light? Also another side question, would it be a good idea to try to pick him up while wearing a glove even if hes trying to bite me? thanks again.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Most people who let their Gus free roam have tegu proofed the areas they are allowed in as much as possible. Depending on their size they may be only allowed to roam a certain area. Since it's easier for a smaller tegu to find a hiding spot or end up some where that you may not be able to get them out of.

By tegu proof I mean covering or blocking off any area you don't want them to go and they can fit into. Like openings and crevices under or around floor cupboards, cabinets, appliances, furniture and things like that.

Definitely use gloves to pick him up is he's trying to bite you. If for not other reason than to teach him that you're not backing down.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can wear a glove to pick him up if you would like, I've been known to wear gloves here and there. Especially if their nail are really sharp. I have a scar on my wrist from Guru.. It looks a lot like an intentional cutting scar.. :/
How big is your tegu? I would be careful if he is really small, a lot of people have had missing tegus because they've gotten into nooks and crannies, behind dishwasers, fridges, etc. What I've mostly done is let them roam around the bathroom or spare room, after checking for holes and other possible escape routes. Guru is a little over 3.5 ft, I feel comfortable letting him roam wherever without getting lost.
I would never let my tegus roam without monitoring, another thing you can try is walling off areas you don't want him in, whether its turning a coffee table on its side or whatever.

Another thing that sometimes helps to pick them up is tossing a shirt or towel over them before you pick them up. Guru is really mellow and a great tegu but he doesn't like to be picked up much. He won't bit but he thrashes around, sometimes I'll throw a towel over him and grab him that way. Once he calms down I'll slowly remove the towel and he's fine.

herpgirl2510

Be careful with letting a little guy when he free roams they can fit in the tiniest hole one room is safer like a bathroom. I learned a hard lesson letting mine roam in my living room he got into the smallest hole I did not see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu