• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How soon can you put a tegu in his large enclosure?

DangerousDann

image.jpeg

Justin

5 Year Member
I use a 100 watt uvb and a 36" flourecent. Because I keep the house at 78 i don't use any heating at night. I believe as long as it doesn't drop below 70 your fine.

DangerousDann

Update: after putting Dozers lights on timers (Day 6am till 7pm and night 6:30pm till 6:30am), Dozer now comes out at 6pm and stays out past midnight. I was trying to get him up earlier so we could bond before work, since he was only up while I was gone. We have missed out on a lot of bonding time. Since I added the timers, he's still up when I get home, but I'm worried about him eating late and only basking under his 100watt night light. We have been able to spend time together since he's up so late. Am I worried for nothing?
image.jpeg

DangerousDann

Yes. When he was in his 40gal he would come out of his hide early in the day, now he doesn't come out of his hide till after 6pm, and I'm not home while he's out.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes. Night must be dark. No light. Tegus generally come out mid-morning for a while then a bit late in afternoon. On cool sunny days they're out longer during the days once. Night time is then dark for sleep, and your tegu will adjust.

DangerousDann

I wouldn't use anything that emits light at night. If you need a night time heat source get a ceramic heat emitter.
Thank you Justin and Walter, I unplugged his night time light. I had no idea it was messing with him so much. I live in Ohio and it's gotten below 40 at night, his room is now at 73 degrees and so is his enclosure. Hopefully this will make him happier. Thanks again.

Dozer is my first Tegu, we have bearded dragons, which are all doing great, but I'm still learning with Dozer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu