• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How young can a red hibernate???

Ellorathered1

My red tegu Ellora is only 8 weeks old, I've had her for 2 weeks and doesnt eat on her own (without being force fed a few crickets). I find her borrowed beneath the substrate under the heat lamp (which the temp is at 105). She's healthy, active, and alert when being held. The employ at the store I bought her from said that it's a possibility she might be trying to hibernate. So my question is, can a red tegu 8 weeks of age hibernate so young? Please let me know ASAP on what you think, im worried for her

Thank you,
Ellorathered1

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes they can, your tegu is more than likely an import, tegus in the nothern hemisphere hatch out around june/july some as late as august, many will often go down a few weeks after hatching, it may be the stress from a new inviornment and she jut wants to hide

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I highly doubt she will die, just let her be, I would give it a few weeks to allow her to adjust to her new home, give her a small plate of food and see if she eats, with young tegus new to a surrounding its hard to say hibernation or not because if they are scared they will hide a lot, just give it time and see

Ellorathered1

what do u recommend in protein products besides crickets and rodants and what kind of fruits or veggies, for how long do u think i leave the food in the cage?

Ellorathered1

Thank you so very much, your info is very helpful and has eased my stress a little on my sweet heart, i will let you know how she's doing and post photos and updates of Ellora on the red tegu forums. Hopefully she'll be female :)

Ellorathered1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980