• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Humidity bad for lighting?

Schnab

5 Year Member
I am getting ready to start putting my enclosure together but I was wondering if humidity would be bad for the lighting if I were to put them on the inside of the enclosure.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
of course not, then nobody would have lights :D most lights are on the insides of the cage, and even if its on the screen, humidity still evaporates into the lights, they are most likely made to withstand that since thats what they are for, ive never had a problem.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unless you have near 100% condensing humidity I wouldn't worry about it. The heat of the bulbs will keep any moisture from condensing on them anyway.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
as long as water/mist does not come in contact with the bulb after hours of operation humidity wont hurt. But cold water on a super hot balb will pop.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Alright, thanks guys. I'll keep that "cold water on bulb bad" part in mind. My main fear was bulbs popping in the cage and leaving a big mess of glass shards. :roll:

Schnab

5 Year Member
Sorry for the double post but does anyone have any suggestions for a basking light that lasts? I'm returning an Exo Terra Sun Glo Neodymium basking spot lamp that broke after 15 days. :(

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't waste your money on those expensive incandescent reptile heat bulbs! I use halogen bulbs from Home Depot, they put out much more heat, are more rugged and last longer (some are rated for 6000 hours!). Just don't spray them directly with water.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Well until he's old enough to not need as much UV i'll just get my bulb replaced. One more thing though, for those who have lighight on the inside, how did u set it up?

Schnab

5 Year Member
I ment for how to install the lights. I want uv lights on the inside but am unsure of how to proceed. I just want to get it right the first time.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
I will show you what I did on my retic cage. It should work just fine for a MV bulb also. The only thing different would be you would have to use a different guard, if one is even needed. I took a 1 3/8'' hole saw and cut a hole in the top of my cage. I then took a porcelain keyless light fixture ($3 at lowes/home depot) and mounted it over the hole. I took some 12/2 with ground romex, wired it up to the fixture and then to a switch which I mounted on the side of the cage.

lightfixture.jpg

the wiring
wiringfixture.jpg

If you are wanting to use a tube light, then just take the fixture and either surface mount it with screws to the top of the cage, or you can attach some jack-chain to either side and hang it from the top at whatever height you want. Most of those come with cords attached so you shouldn't have to wire it. Just route the cord up the chain and drill a small hole to route it outside the cage. Hope this is info helps.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
glad it helps. keep us updated, i want to see the finished project. i'm going to be building my first tegu enclosure in the next couple of months. this is the first lizard enclosure i will be building...snakes are easy to build for. lizards are a lot more demanding....

Schnab

5 Year Member
Tell me about it! I will definately post pictures whenever possible. Well good luck to ya, I guess we're both on the same boat XD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan