• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

humidity question

right now i have to use a humidifier rigged up to my tegus all glass home to keep the humidity up. and i just got a wood on with a screen top an glass front will i need to rig this up again in the wood cage?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes you will. It will be no different than the glass if they both have screen tops.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Is there a way you could close up that screen top and vent someplace else? I was told screen tops are a no for holding in humidity... james?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Screen tops are no good for holding in heat or humidity. Most adult size enclosures don't need any ventilation, daily opening of the doors for feeding, water changes, spot cleaning , interaction, etc will allow for enough air exchange.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
james.w said:
Screen tops are no good for holding in heat or humidity. Most adult size enclosures don't need any ventilation, daily opening of the doors for feeding, water changes, spot cleaning , interaction, etc will allow for enough air exchange.

What about mold and excess heat from the MVB bulbs during the summer months? My tegu will be outdoors in the summer, but some may be in indoor enclosures in non air conditioned rooms. Some extra ventilation may be necessary to drain off some heat.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I am interested in this as my large enclosure is still in progress. I'd like to do everything right from the get go... :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dubya - I would recommend switching to a smaller wattage bulb. If the ambient room temps get over 80, you will need to provide some sort of a/c to give the tegu the opportunity to cool down.

BatGirl - if vents are needed, they can be easily added.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm planning on halogen, as mentioned in another thread. Using a double socket. The uvb is already mounted on back. It's a tube-type. I'm wondering about winter warmth though. Dubya had said something about night heat bulbs on cool side and rob I think uses heat panels. Deciding what would be best since enclosure is 4ft high.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have my tegus in the garage. In the peak of the summer, I have to shut most of the bulbs off from about 2-4pm because it is so hot and they are not basking. Or I use a fan to ventilate. I have screen vents on the top and side. In the cooler weather, I cover the top screen vents. Humidity usually isn't a problem. If I need to boost it, I bring the hose over and mist the substrate.

My enclosures also have two sockets on each side, so I can add ceramic heat elements for night heat if needed. Being infrared, RHP's do not heat up the ambient air much, but heat whatever is beneath it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Laurafl, you are in Florida which I think would play a big role in humidity. What is the humidity in the garage and outside?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, that's why I don't usually respond to humidity and enclosure questions. Right now, humidity is about 50% outside and 70% in the garage.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Yes, that's why I don't usually respond to humidity and enclosure questions. Right now, humidity is about 50% outside and 70% in the garage.

Definitely makes a difference.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
I'm planning on halogen, as mentioned in another thread. Using a double socket. The uvb is already mounted on back. It's a tube-type. I'm wondering about winter warmth though. Dubya had said something about night heat bulbs on cool side and rob I think uses heat panels. Deciding what would be best since enclosure is 4ft high.

Yes I use night spot bulbs on the cool side 24hrs a day because the upstairs is cool. I use a halogen and MVB on the warm side during the day and when they are off at night, the cool side becomes the warm side. He never sleeps in his hide on the cool side. He just burrows under his basking rock which is a slate paver about 5/8in thick. his enclosure is only about 26in high or maybe a little taller so that it fit through the doorway.

james.w said:
Dubya - I would recommend switching to a smaller wattage bulb. If the ambient room temps get over 80, you will need to provide some sort of a/c to give the tegu the opportunity to cool down.

BatGirl - if vents are needed, they can be easily added.

I agree, but an adjustable vent may be a good idea.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Can I use halogen floods or must I use reptile specific ones for the basking areas. ( was that a stupid ques.?)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Halogen floods will work fine and be cheaper, both to purchase and to run. Just make sure you UVB is within the proper distance.

Dubya - of course an adjustable can be used, I prefer those that can be completely closed though.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Uvb Proper distance from floods or animals? I have the uvb tube mounted on the back wall of enclosure ...hold on, I'll try to post pic. [attachment=6245]

I don't have any better ones, damn. And we took it apart to get it out of the way while remodelling but will put it back together and complete doors and other things soon... ugh.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359228238192.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359228238192.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Proper distance from the animal. I used a hanging 4 ft fixture and suspended it with the provided chains to get the proper distance.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
It's mounted on the back wall. The bulb is open on 3 sides. Will this not give proper exposure? Does it need to be suspended by chains to give appropriate rays to animal?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is something I am not sure about, I have always hung them from the ceiling of the enclosure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus