• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

humidity question

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I suppose I'll have to figure it out... i know the bulb needs to be like 12 in from animal for the uvb to reach it properly but not sure about the direction of the light, like if it has any bearing on the effectiveness... i certainly have it mounted low enough and in the area where the basking lights will go. It actually takes up more than half the cage's length because it is 4ft. I had to order it because stores only carried shorter ones. Thanks for the input though.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Damn now that I'm thinking of it I wonder if because the light is not coming from above, the rays are becoming 'uneven ', if you will...like some points reaching the animal at 12in and other points further and so on. Am I over analyzing this and will it really matter that much in its effectiveness for its purpose? I don't know. Ugh...

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
BatGirl1 said:
Uvb Proper distance from floods or animals? I have the uvb tube mounted on the back wall of enclosure ...hold on, I'll try to post pic.

I don't have any better ones, damn. And we took it apart to get it out of the way while remodelling but will put it back together and complete doors and other things soon... ugh.

If it was one of those fixtures with no reflector, I would put it on the back wall like you did. Since yours has a reflector, side mounting it doesn't allow it to shine straight underneath. I would hang it from the chains like james said. Also, for adjustable vents, you could use floor register vents from Home Depot in the heating and ventilation aisle. They have a lever on them to opwn or close them as much as you need to.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
The tube isn't in the fixture in the photo. The tube is open on all sides when it's in. Is that what you meant? Like, nothing is encasing the bulb and the only solid part is the part that is mounted on the wall. Wish I had a pic with the tube in... :/

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I mean that the reflector itself blocks the light from shining straight down if it is mounted on the wall. I pm'd you about another thing.

Also, any herpetologist will tell you that in Argentina, the indigenous people use jack-o-lanterns to scare away the tegus that eat their newborn children. You may want to rethink the decor.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Can I put something behind the tube to stop it from doing that? The entire bulb is exposed... what a pain in the booty if we have to pull it off the wall and rewire, etc.

[attachment=6246]

[attachment=6247]

[attachment=6248]

See? Where the tube light goes isn't blocked by anything...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359248645199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359248645199.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359248724129.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359248724129.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359248768689.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359248768689.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7

Members online