• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I haven't been around for a while

dorton

5 Year Member
A little while back I came home and checked on all my stuff like I usually do, and noticed when I opened the door to my snakes it felt hot, when I first checked the thermometer at the top it registered 135.2 def F(this is the coolest place in the room). I immediately started checking all my snakes. When it was all said and done, I had lost every one of my snakes minus 2.1 Morelia Bredli which luckily were the top enclosures.
The heater I had been usung malfunctioned, and did not cut off. It was on it's "low" setting only turned 3/4 of the way up on the rheostat. Even when I tried turning it down, it did not shut off, and had to unplug it. I grabbed a 2 gallon water sprayer, and started soaking the remaining snakes to try to bring down their core temps.
Since then I have lost my motivation/spark for my animals. My 2 tegus are still doing great, and are still as laid back as ever, but just aren't getting the attention they deserve. I am even thinking of selling the rest of my stuff, and just do without for a while.
I filed a claim with the heater manufacturer, and am awaiting the results from testing of the heater. They want an estimate on replacement. How can you put a price on a pet? What if it was a child?

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
That's so sad. I'm sorry for all of your losses. I understand they weren't just your "pets" they were just like children

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Don't just give up! You aren't to blame. I hope you find the motivation to keep trying. As for an estimate on them, you're gonna have to exclude your feelings, as hard as it may be. If it was me tho, I'd tottally estimate at the highest prices possible. They put a warranty on their products and their product caused loss of life. They have to be co-operative. How would they like a write up in the news paper or even a spot on the local news giving them negative publicity? They should have to meet you in the middle atleast IMO. Best of luck and hope you stay in the game. Don't sit on the bench! You did so great so far. It was their product that messed it up for you.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hate to hear about your animals bro, that suxs that you lost them. You can not put a price on them, they are not something you can replace.

It is great to see you back though!! :)

dorton

5 Year Member
It feels good to be back, maybe even helping to get a little spark back.

The heater is a Holmes brand, sold worldwide, I got mine at walmart.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your losses. I would be devastated as I'm sure you are.

Could you please elaborate on the model heater that malfunctioned. I am deeply concerned because I use Holmes ceramic heaters in 3 of my lizard rooms! They are 3 different models and I'd really like to know which model you had.

Markie

5 Year Member
Sorry for your losses. That is horrible.. and scary. I just bought a heater to put in my reptile room (different brand), but now I'm questioning myself about it..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan