• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I made a duummbbbb mistake! Help

EchelonMom

Hey people!
I bought my tegu after doing research and preparing for about a year... So I thought. Her name is Echelon and she's so frikkn sweet, I asked the reptile breeder all sorts of questions she told me what to feed her, how to hold her, she's 6mo and a tiny thing. I get her home I cut up some fruits but she wasn't interested, the next day I scrambled some eggs and she liked it she ate two small bites then refused the rest I was just so happy to watch her eat it satisfied me but all she wanted to do was sleep so I left her alone. After burrowing and sleeping for a whole day without drinking water, I was worried so I called a vet and she said no worries she's probably brumating. BRUMATING!?? WTH IS THAT!?? so I did more r
and read all about it and then I was at peace with it until I remembered. She ate the egg I fed her!! I'm so worried she'll get sick n pass so ... More research! I put her in warm water consistently, rubbing her stomach but she just goes right back to sleep, no stool no urate. I'm so stressed n afraid to lose her bc of my ignorance. What should I do??? Please help me.

Attachments

• 20200301_150759.jpg
    20200301_150759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ONE) Stop panicking.......... :D

It's now coming to the end of winter and I'd be very surprised if she fell into such a deep sleep that she wouldn't wake up to poop.

Think would someone stop them eating at winter in the wild??????? NO they make that decision for themselves.:tegu:

BUT if you are worried just calmly wake her up every few days for a cuddle and bath to relieve her.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Follow Alpha's advice, making certain that Echelon's hide box is in the 70sF and hot spot at other end is 110-115F. Fresh water always available.

The danger of food rotting in belly is real but only if the tegu were suddenly chilled long term with no basking light.

mdeford09

It sounds to me like she's still settling in, not brumating. The last young Tegu I purchased hid for nearly 2 months before he started getting bold enough to stay out all day. Personally, I let all reptiles settle in for 1-2 weeks before I worry about not eating or hiding too much. (Unless they arrived in really bad shape. Like a rescue). In fact, I don't even bother them the first week or 2 at all. I just make sure there is fresh water and a few crickets or wood roaches around for them to hunt if they feel up to it. And, I will talk to them as I am checking those things. But no touching or holding.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about what to expect when you first get you Tegu. It seems those who get super fast adapters dominate the forum talks. It leads other new owners to get worried that their new Tegu isn't immediately eating or bonding. But, if you chat with owners and breeders you will learn that most Tegu do not become your best friend in only a few days. It can take weeks, sometimes months, to even get them use to your presence. Every Tegu is different and has their own unique personality. That said, once you put the time in and learn your Tegu's personality, it is extremely rewarding.

AlphaAlpha had it right with his/her first sentence. Stop panicking and relax. She's doing fine and is going to be fine. :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hope that on this forum, it's apparant that tegus vary in time to settle in, time to lose fear of humans, and extent to which they interact with humans.

Fan Vixtion

I don't know much about tegus but with most animals, I have done research on they don't drink the first few days you get them or they are drinking but you just didn't see it
Hope this helps!
<3

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree that you don't want to panic. (Us girls are so nervous about our babies.) It's good that you care, and now it's time to observe and start your bond with your awesome animal. Brumation is just a natural process - Tegus need their rest, where puppies need our constant attention.

You should have heard some of my panic moments in the last couple years.....lol

bsshig40

I've only had mine for a month and he's been in brumation also. He's only about 5 months old. I was worrying but he comes out once in a while. Hasn't eaten much but he is still very strong. Found some poop the other day so I know he's doin ok. I quit fretting about it. He has fresh water and I put out a little bit of food every other day in case he gets hungrier. I know he moves around because I can see the substrate changes in formation all the time. I figure brumation should be close to ending and then he'll keep me busier. Lol

VA farmer

Hey people!
I bought my tegu after doing research and preparing for about a year... So I thought. Her name is Echelon and she's so frikkn sweet, I asked the reptile breeder all sorts of questions she told me what to feed her, how to hold her, she's 6mo and a tiny thing. I get her home I cut up some fruits but she wasn't interested, the next day I scrambled some eggs and she liked it she ate two small bites then refused the rest I was just so happy to watch her eat it satisfied me but all she wanted to do was sleep so I left her alone. After burrowing and sleeping for a whole day without drinking water, I was worried so I called a vet and she said no worries she's probably brumating. BRUMATING!?? WTH IS THAT!?? so I did more r
and read all about it and then I was at peace with it until I remembered. She ate the egg I fed her!! I'm so worried she'll get sick n pass so ... More research! I put her in warm water consistently, rubbing her stomach but she just goes right back to sleep, no stool no urate. I'm so stressed n afraid to lose her bc of my ignorance. What should I do??? Please help me.[/QUOTE
My 2 year old female is still knocked out asleep!!

VA farmer

Wouldn’t worry, my 6 yr old male would wake up to eat and drink water here and there. Than, he would go back to hibernation.

Orionrey

Hey people!
and read all about it and then I was at peace with it until I remembered. She ate the egg I fed her!! I'm so worried she'll get sick n pass so ... More research! I put her in warm water consistently, rubbing her stomach but she just goes right back to sleep, no stool no urate. I'm so stressed n afraid to lose her bc of my ignorance. What should I do??? Please help me.

Orionrey

I have raised my Columbian Tegu year-round and currently I am raising a juvenile blues/Argentine and it just really never has been a problem. When they want to eat I let them. Tegus love to sleep. Sometimes they will pass up meals just so they can sleep . You’re taking good care of it and I’m sure he/she will be fine. if you get too worried you might even be able to put a phone call in to something like underground reptiles etc. because I know these guys do raise a bunch of the tegus

Orionrey

Also let her take baths every day. They tend to like to eat eggs, worms, crickets, mice and some vegetables and just a little fruit. They also eat stuff like ground turkey , chicken, etc You can get all of those items and make it into a big amount and then you can freeze it and take out only what you need daily. But do keep watch on him and continue with the warm bath because that’s really going to help. Also let her get exercise.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Orionrey about the sleep time vs. food. Your baby is new though, so occam's razor has to be that he/she is just adapting to the new situation. They hide a lot while they're figuring that out. Completely normal, and the best advice given is to let the animal do what it wants to do. Don't force anything....let it find the food and water you provide.

Favorite piece of advice from Walter1.....put an old worn shirt in the enclosure for it to know your scent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980